Marvin's Room (play)
|Written by||Scott McPherson|
|Place premiered||Goodman Theatre, Chicago|
It concerns two sisters, Bessie, their father's saintly caretaker who has leukemia, and Lee, a wisecracking, psychologically unstable free spirit who has not helped with the caretaking.
It is based upon McPherson's experiences with older relatives who lived in Florida. McPherson cared for his partner, cartoonist and activist Daniel Sotomayor, who died from AIDS. His experiences living in the darkest days of the AIDS epidemic influenced his writing. McPherson himself died in 1992 of AIDS at age 33.
|Character||1990 Goodman Theatre cast||1991-92 Off-Broadway cast||1992 West End cast||1994 Los Angeles cast||1996 Film cast|
|Bessie Wakefield||Carol Schultz||Laura Esterman||Alison Steadman||Mary Steenburgen||Diane Keaton|
|Lee Wakefield Lacker||Mary Beth Fisher||Lisa Emery||Phyllis Logan||Jean Smart||Meryl Streep|
|Hank||-||Mark Rosenthal||-||-||Leonardo DiCaprio|
|Aunt Ruth||Jane MacIver||Alice Drummond||Carmel McSharry||Jane Cecil||Gwen Verdon|
It then played Off-Broadway at Playwrights Horizons, opening on November 15, 1991 and closing on February 23, 1992. The play re-opened Off-Broadway at the Minetta Lane Theater in March 1992 and closed on September 6, 1992, directed by David Petraca.
The Roundabout Theatre Company will present the play on Broadway at the American Airlines Theatre from June 8, 2017 to August 27, directed by Anne Kauffman. Janeane Garofalo (Lee) and Lili Taylor (Bessie) are expected to star with Celia Weston featured as Ruth.
Awards and nominations
1991-1992 Obie Award for Distinguished Performance by an Actress - Laura Esterman (winner)
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Play - (winner)
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Play - Laura Esterman (winner)
1992 Drama Critics' Circle Award Runner-Up, Best American Play (nomination)
- Marvin's Room Women Take Care: Gender, Race, and the Culture of AIDS, by Katie Hogan, Published by Cornell University Press, 2001. ISBN 0-8014-8753-6. Page 14.
- A Door Left Ajar in 'Marvin's Room' by David Richards, Washington Post Staff Writer, January 5, 1997.
- Bommer, Lawrence. " Marvin's Room Review" chicagoreader.com, March 1, 1990
- Christianson, Richard. "Review. 'Marvins Room' Offers Up a Breathtaking View" Chicago Tribune, February 20, 1990
- " 'Marvin's Room' 1991" lortel.org, accessed September 7, 2016
- Walking the Tightrope That Is 'Marvin's Room' New York Times, December 12, 1991.
- "Review/Theater; 'Marvin's Room': Life, As It Is and Could Be" The New York Times, March 6, 1992
- Marvin's Room lortel.org, accessed September 7, 2016
- Rose, Lloyd. Light-Filled 'Marvin's Room'" The Washington Post, September 18, 1992
- Los Angeles Times accessed 11/23/2016
- Clement, Olivia. "Roundabout Announces Broadway Premiere of 'Marvin’s Room'" Playbill, September 6, 2016
- Clement, Olivia. "Janeane Garofalo and Lili Taylor Will Star in the Broadway Premiere of 'Marvin’s Room'" Playbill, March 28, 2017
- Two Wrenching Dramas Find Unexpected New Lives New York Times, December 8, 1996.
- McPherson, Scott (1992). Marvin's Room (First ed.). New York: Plume drama. ISBN 0-452-26922-9.
- Marvin's Room The Cambridge Guide to American Theatre, by Don B. Wilmeth, Leonard Jacobs. Published by Cambridge University Press, 2007. ISBN 0-521-83538-0. page 430.
- The Applause-Best Plays Theater Yearbook, 1990-1991: Featuring the Ten Best Plays of the Year, by Otis L. Guernsey, Jeffrey Sweet. Illustrated by Al Hirschfield. Applause Theatre Books, 2000. ISBN 1-55783-107-6. Page 476
- Marvin's Room. Dramatists Play Service, Inc. 1993. ISBN 978-0-8222-1312-3.
- "MARVIN'S ROOM: A Study Guide", Public Theatre, February, 2004