|51 – Marvin Hudson|
Hudson in 2012.
March 3, 1964 |
|MLB debut||July 29, 1998|
|Career highlights and awards|
Marvin Lee Hudson (born March 3, 1964) is a Major League Baseball (MLB) umpire who began his career in the National League in 1999. He has officiated in the 2004 All-Star Game, six Division Series (2005, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016), the 2014 American League Championship Series, and the 2016 World Series. He wears uniform number 51.
Prior to reaching the Major Leagues, Hudson served as an umpire in several minor leagues, beginning with the Appalachian League in 1992. From there, he moved on to the South Atlantic League for the following year, during which he also spent time in the Florida Instructional League. After umpiring for the Florida State League in 1994, Hudson moved on to the Southern League in 1995 and 96. He also officiated for the Hawaiian Winter League in 1995. After advancing all the way to the International League, where he umpired from 1997-1999, Hudson was promoted to the Major Leagues in 1999.
Hudson was the home plate umpire for Armando Galarraga's near perfect game against the Cleveland Indians on June 2, 2010, and was the second base umpire for Ervin Santana's 2011 no-hitter. Hudson was umpiring at first base in Seattle on April 21, 2012, when Philip Humber threw a perfect game. He was at second base when six Seattle Mariners pitchers combined to no-hit the Los Angeles Dodgers on June 8, 2012.
Hudson graduated from Marietta High School in 1982. He studied Business Administration at Piedmont College, from which he graduated in 1986. Along with fellow umpire Mike DiMuro, Hudson helped start the Blue for Kids Foundation, which is now part of Umps Care.
- "Marvin Hudson - 51". MLB.com. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- "Detroit Tigers 3, Cleveland Indians 0". Retrosheet.org. Retrosheet. Retrieved September 6, 2011.
- "July 27, 2011 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at Cleveland Indians Box Score and Play by Play". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved September 6, 2011.
- "Chicago White Sox vs. Seattle Mariners-Box Score-April 21, 2012". ESPN. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Kevin Millwood, five Mariners relievers combine to no-hit Dodgers ESPN.com. Retrieved June 14, 2012
- Imber, Gil. "Roster: 2014 Opening Series (Sydney, Australia) Umpires." Close Call Sports/Umpire Ejection Fantasy League. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- "Hudson 51 Official Wear, LLC: Company Profile". Hudson51wear.com. Retrieved September 12, 2015.