Mary Elphinstone, Lady Elphinstone
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Lady Mary Elphinstone|
Portrait by Philip de László, 1929
Mary Frances Bowes-Lyon|
30 August 1883
8 February 1961 (aged 77)|
|Spouse(s)||Sidney Elphinstone, 16th Lord Elphinstone (m. 1910; d. 1955)|
John Elphinstone, 17th Lord Elphinstone
Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne|
Lady Elphinstone was born Lady Mary Frances Bowes-Lyon on 30 August 1883 in Angus, Scotland, to Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne and Cecilia Cavendish-Bentinck. She was an elder sister of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (later The Queen Mother).
In 1937, she attended her sister and brother-in-law's coronation whereby she sat behind her niece, Princess Elizabeth, who would be the future queen, in the royal box.
She died on 8 February 1961, aged 77, in Inveresk, Scotland.
Marriage and issue
- The Hon. Mary Elizabeth Elphinstone (1 July 1911 – 16 May 1980). She was a bridesmaid at the wedding of Prince Albert, Duke of York, and Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon on 3 May 1923.
- John Alexander Elphinstone, 17th Lord Elphinstone (22 March 1914 – 15 November 1975)
- The Hon. Jean Constance Elphinstone (3 April 1915 – 29 November 1999), married Captain John Wills. Their daughter Marilyn is a god-daughter of Princess Margaret and was a bridesmaid at her 1960 wedding.
- The Rev. The Hon. Andrew Charles Victor Elphinstone (10 November 1918 – 19 March 1975), married Jean Hambro and had issue. His wife was a Lady-in-Waiting to Queen Elizabeth II 
- The Hon. Margaret Elphinstone (9 June 1925 – 25 November 2016), married Denys Rhodes and had issue. She was a bridesmaid at the wedding in 1947 of The Princess Elizabeth (now Queen Elizabeth II) and Prince Philip (now the Duke of Edinburgh).
- "The Queen Mother in pictures". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- Yvonne's Royalty Home Page: Royal Godchildren
- Yvonne's Royalty Home Page: Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation Attendants