Mary Ewing-Mulligan is an American author, wine educator and Master of Wine, the first American woman to achieve this accreditation. She has been the director of the school International Wine Center since 1984, and is executive director of the U.S. programs for the Wine & Spirit Education Trust. She is also a freelance journalist of wine articles to various publications, and the co-author of several wine books in the For Dummies series.
Ewing-Mulligan graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1971 with an English major, followed by various positions with the Italian Trade Commission in Philadelphia and later in Manhattan. In 1984 she joined the International Wine Center, a school founded by Albert L. Hotchkin Jr. in 1982. In 1988, Ewing-Mulligan began the preparatory Master of Wine program. She passed the theoretical exam in 1990 on the second attempt, and the blind-tasting exam on the fifth attempt in 1993. In 1997, Ewing-Mulligan bought Hotchkin's shares in the International Wine Center. The IWC is esteemed among the U.S. leading wine schools.
Ewing-Mulligan is a columnist for Wine Review Online and has previously served as wine columnist for The New York Daily News and wine correspondent on the radio program The Splendid Table. She has also contributed articles to publications such as Los Angeles Times, Food & Wine, The New York Times, Gourmet, Wine Spectator, Wine Enthusiast Magazine and Wine & Spirit.
Her books, co-authored with her husband Ed McCarthy, include Wine Style: Using Your Senses to Explore and Enjoy Wine and several publications in the For Dummies series, including Wine For Dummies, Red Wine For Dummies, White Wine For Dummies, French Wine For Dummies, Italian Wine For Dummies and California Wine For Dummies.
- mastersofwine.org, Masters of Wine, Mary Ewing-Mulligan profile
- Matasar, Ann B. (2006). Women of wine: the rise of women in the global wine industry. University of California Press. p. 130. ISBN 0-520-24051-0
- Goldberg, Howard G., The New York Times (June 16, 1996). Master of Wine Tries to Make It Simple: 'Wine for Dummies'
- Feiring, Alice, Time (April 03, 2006). Of Wine and Women
- McLean, Bethany, CNN.com/Fortune (May 31, 2004). Grape Nuts There are plonk drinkers. There are oenophiles. And then there are the expert few who have earned the title Master of Wine
- winemediaguild.org Hall of Fame inductees 2009
- Goldberg, Howard G., The New York Times (February 7, 2003). A.L. Hotchkin Jr., 59, a Fixture Of the Wine Scene in New York
- Steinberg, Mike, Slate (October 7, 2005). A magazine for lady winos
- Prial, Frank J. The New York Times (December 11, 1996). Wine Talk
- Goldberg, Howard G., The New York Times (May 15, 2009). A Smart Guide to California