Mary Geiger Lewis
|Mary Geiger Lewis|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina|
June 20, 2012
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Henry Franklin Floyd|
|Born||Mary Wallis Geiger
December 18, 1958
Columbia, South Carolina
|Education||Clemson University B.A.
University of South Carolina School of Law J.D.
Mary Geiger Lewis (born December 18, 1958) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina.
Early life and education
Lewis was born on December 18, 1958, in Columbia, South Carolina. She received a Bachelor of Arts from Clemson University in 1980 and a Juris Doctor from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 1984, graduating Order of the Coif.
Lewis worked as a law clerk to South Carolina Judge Owens Taylor Cobb, Jr. from 1984 to 1985. From 1985 to 2012 she worked at Lewis & Babcock, LLP, starting as an associate in 1985 and becoming a partner in 1987.
Federal judicial service
Representative Jim Clyburn recommended Lewis to fill a judicial vacancy on the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina that was created by the elevation of Judge Henry Franklin Floyd to the Fourth Circuit. On March 16, 2011, President Barack Obama formally nominated Lewis to the District of South Carolina.
On February 15, 2012, Lewis received a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee. On March 8, 2012, the Judiciary Committee reported her nomination to the floor of the Senate in an 11-6 vote.
Lewis and her husband, A. Camden Lewis, have two children.
- "Mary Geiger Lewis - Lawyer Profile". Martindale. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (March 16, 2011). "President Obama Nominates Two to the United States District Court". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- Senate Judiciary Committee Questionnaire
- Rosen, James (March 17, 2011). "S.C. attorney tapped for federal bench". The State. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- "U.S. Senate: Roll Call Vote". senate.gov. 27 January 2015. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "History of the Federal Judiciary". fjc.gov. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Mary Geiger Lewis at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
Henry Franklin Floyd
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina