|The Right Reverend
|Assistant Bishop of New York|
|Church||Episcopal Church (United States)|
|Consecration||15 May 2010
by Katharine, 26th Presiding Bishop
|Born||February 23, 1954|
Mary Douglas Glasspool (born February 23, 1954) is an assistant bishop in the Episcopal Diocese of New York. She previously served as one of two suffragan bishops in the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles from 2010 to 2016. She is the first open lesbian to be consecrated a bishop in the Anglican Communion.
Glasspool was born on February 23, 1954, in Staten Island Hospital, New York, to Douglas Murray Glasspool and Anne Dickinson. Later that year the Glasspool family moved to Goshen, New York, where her father served as rector of St. James’ Church until his death in 1989. She entered the Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1976 and was ordained a deacon in June 1981 and a priest in March 1982. In 1981, Glasspool became assistant to the rector at St. Paul’s Church in Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, where she served until 1984. She was the rector of St. Luke's and St. Margaret's Church in Boston from 1984 to 1992, then the rector of St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church, Annapolis, from 1992 to 2001, and was called to serve as canon to the bishops for the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland in 2001.
Glasspool was elected a bishop suffragan on December 4, 2009, on the seventh ballot at the 115th Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles in Riverside, California. On March 17, 2010, the Presiding Bishop’s Office certified that her election had received the necessary consents and she was subsequently consecrated on May 15, 2010, in Long Beach, California. Glasspool is the 17th woman and the first openly lesbian woman elected to the episcopate in the Episcopal Church. Her election has gained worldwide attention in the context of the ongoing debate about gay bishops in Anglicanism.
- List of Episcopal bishops of the United States
- Historical list of the Episcopal bishops of the United States
- BBC: "Mary Glasspool: Anglicanism's first lesbian bishop", 14 May 2010, retrieved 24 May 2010
- Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles: "Election of two Bishops Suffragan", December 4-5, 2009, accessed March 20, 2010
- EpiscopalLife Online: "Los Angeles Bishop-elect Glasspool receives church's consent to ordination" Archived 2010-03-23 at the Wayback Machine., March 17, 2010, accessed March 20, 2010.
- EpiscopalLife Online: "Diane Bruce, Mary Glasspool consecrated bishops in joyous celebration in Los Angeles diocese"[permanent dead link], May 15, 2010, accessed May 17, 2010.
- Episcopal Diocese of New York: "Bp Mary Glasspool to Come to NY as Assistant Bishop" Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine., November 14, 2015, accessed February 23, 2016.