Mary Goretti Kitutu
|Mary Goretti Kitutu|
September 17, 1962|
Manafwa District, Uganda
(Bachelor of Science)
(Postgraduate Diploma in Education)
(Doctor of Philosophy)
University of Twente
(Master of Science)
|Occupation||Engineer & Politician|
|Years active||1988 — present|
|Title||State Minister of the Environment|
Mary Goretti Kitutu, also Mary Goretti Kitutu Kimono is a Ugandan academic, environmentalist and politician. She is the State Minister for the Environment in the Ugandan Cabinet. She was appointed to that position on 10 June 2016. Dr Mary Kitutu concurrently serves as the elected Manafwa District Women's Representative, in the 10th Parliament (2016 - 2021).
Background and education
She was born in Manafwa District on 17 September 1962. After attending local schools, she entered Makerere University in 1984, graduating in 1987 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry and Geology. In 1993, she went back to Makerere and obtained a Postgraduate Diploma in Education. Her Master of Science was obtained in 1998 from the Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation of the University of Twente, in Enschede, Netherlands. In 2011, she obtained a Doctor of Philosophy from Makerere University, in Kampala, Uganda.
Her first job out of university was as a teacher at Busoga College Mwiri, from 1988 until 1991. From 1991 until 1996, she taught at Our Lady of Good Counsel School, in Gayaza, Wakiso District. After she left teaching, she worked as a consultant at Axis Technical Geo Mineral Consult, between 1998 and 2001.
In April 2002, she was hired as a Research Officer and Environmental Specialist at the National Environment Management Authority (NEMA), serving in that capacity until February 2015. From February 2015, she worked as a Senior Technical Advisor and Environmental Monitor at Tetra Tech, a project sponsored by USAID, serving in that capacity until 2015.
In late 2015, she entered Ugandan elective politics by contesting for the Manafwa District Women Representative in the 2016 national and parliamentary elections. She ran on the National Resistance Movement political party platform. She won and is the incumbent. She was appointed State Minister for the Environment on 6 June 2016.
- Uganda State House (6 June 2016). "Museveni's new cabinet list At 6 June 2016" (PDF). Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- POU (October 2016). "Parliament Of Uganda Members Of The 10th Parliament: Kitutu Kimono Mary Goretti". Kampala: Parliament of Uganda (POU). Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- GGGI (2016). "Speakers: Global Green Growth Week 2016 - Dr. Mary Goretti Kitutu Kimono". Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI). Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Apio, Eliane (4 December 2015). "Manafwa parliamentary aspirants outline priorities ahead of 2016 polls". Opengatefm.com. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Monitor Team (8 June 2016). "Who Are The New Faces In Museveni's Cabinet?: Mary Goretti Katutu". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 9 November 2016.