Olsen attending the premiere of The Union at the Tribeca Film Festival in 2011
June 13, 1986 |
Sherman Oaks, California, U.S.
fashion designer, author, producer, businesswoman
|Spouse(s)||Olivier Sarkozy (2015–present)|
|Relatives||Ashley Olsen (twin sister)
Elizabeth Olsen (sister)
Mary-Kate Olsen (born June 13, 1986) is a fashion designer, producer, author, businesswoman and former actress. She co-founded luxury fashion brands The Row, Elizabeth and James, and the more affordable lines Olsenboye and StyleMint alongside her twin sister Ashley Olsen. Olsen pursued acting independently as an adult until 2012.
Birth and family
Olsen was born in Sherman Oaks, California, the daughter of Jarnette "Jarnie" (née Jones; b. 1954), a personal manager, and David "Dave" Olsen, a real estate developer and mortgage banker. Along with her twin, Ashley, she has an older brother, Trent; a younger sister, Elizabeth (who is also an actress), and two other siblings from her father's second marriage to McKenzie. Olsen's parents divorced in 1996.
Along with Ashley, Olsen was cast at the age of nine months to share the role of Michelle Tanner on the ABC sitcom Full House. The Olsen twins portrayed Michelle throughout the series' 1987–95 run. In the early 1990s, she and Ashley established a company, Dualstar, which produced a long string of TV movies and direct-to-video releases featuring the girls. The Olsens continued to release direct-to-video films up to the early 2000s, along with starring in the 1995 feature film It Takes Two. In 1997, the Olsen twins guest starred in an episode of Sister, Sister, alongside fellow twin actresses Tia Mowry and Tamera Mowry. After Full House, the sisters starred in two other sitcoms (Two of a Kind and So Little Time) and an animated series (Mary-Kate and Ashley in Action!). The former lasted one season while the latter ran for two seasons. These ventures, combined with an array of licensing deals for their names and likenesses, made Olsen wealthy at a young age. In 2004, Olsen's wealth was estimated at $137 million.
Olsen and her sister became co-presidents of Dualstar upon their eighteenth birthday. Olsen's first solo acting appearance was in the movie Factory Girl, released in December 2006. Olsen's one short scene was ultimately cut from theatrical release, but was included on the film's DVD. In 2007, the sisters said that if they became involved in movies together again it would be as producers. Olsen had a recurring role on Weeds as 'Tara Lindman'. In 2008, she appeared The Wackness as 'Union'. At the Sundance Film Festival, Academy Award–winner Sir Ben Kingsley, her co-star' praised her. In 2008 Olsen also made a guest appearance on the ABC comedy Samantha Who? as a self-destructive girl that Samantha tries to help. Olsen appeared in the motion picture adaption of the Alex Flinn novel Beastly. Beastly was Mary-Kate's final acting project.
In March 2012, both Mary-Kate and Ashley indicated their interest to retire as actresses in order to focus on their careers in fashion. Mary-Kate and Ashley felt that their futures were in fashion, and not in acting. They discussed wanting to open a store as one of their future fashion-based endeavors.
In 2015 it was announced that John Stamos signed on with Netflix to produce and co-star in Fuller House, a spin-off Full House that would reunite the original cast members for a 13-episode series. Mary-Kate and Ashley originally announced in May 2015 that they will not reprise their role as Michelle Tanner however in July 2015 it was reported that their refusal to do the show was greatly exaggerated and that the Olsen twins were teetering on an agreement to join the series.
Nickelodeon acquired the rights to the Olsen twins' video library in 2015.
In 1993, following Mary-Kate and Ashley's success on Full House, a limited liability company, Dualstar was created to produce Mary-Kate and Ashley-branded products.
In 2004, both Mary-Kate and Ashley took control of Dualstar, becoming joint-CEOs and presidents of the company, which at the time had its merchandise being carried in over 3,000 stores in America and 5,300 stores worldwide.
Net worth and influence
Mary-Kate and her twin Ashley's success has been marked by their inclusion on every Forbes The Celebrity 100 list since 2002,. In 2007 Forbes ranked the twins jointly as the eleventh-richest women in entertainment, with an estimated combined net worth of $100 million.
Following a high volume of public interest in their fashion choices, the sisters began work in collaboration on a string of fashion lines available to the public. Starting as young girls, the Olsen twins started a clothing line in Wal-Mart stores across America for girls ages 4 to 14 as well as a beauty line called "Mary-Kate and Ashley: Real fashion for real girls". In 2004 they made news by signing a pledge to allow all the workers that sew their line of clothing in Bangladesh full maternity leave. The National Labor Committee, which organized the pledge, later praised the twins for their commitment to worker rights.
In 2006, in an attempt to gain credibility in the fashion industry after their association with Wal-Mart tarnished their reputations, they were tapped as the faces of the upscale fashion line Badgley Mischka.
As adults, the Olsen twins have devoted much of their attention to the world of fashion. They head a couture fashion label, "The Row," as well as "Elizabeth and James", "Olsenboye", and "StyleMint" retail collections. Mary-Kate's sometimes controversial fashion choices have often found her on both the best and worst dressed fashion lists, particularly for her decision to wear fur. Mary-Kate and Ashley designed an Olsenboye Change Purse in 2011 and donated the money to "Pennies From Heaven".
In 2011, Mary-Kate and Ashley teamed up with TOMS Shoes to design footwear for kids without shoes in more than 20 countries worldwide. Mary-Kate and Ashley are now the creative directors for Superga. Mary-Kate and Ashley released an Elizabeth and James perfume in Spring 2013. They won the top prize at the 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards. StyleMint is now available in the UK.
Mary Kate was nominated for Council Of Fashion Designers in 2015. 
In 2008, the Olsen twins co-authored Influence, a book featuring interviews with fashion designers that have inspired the twins' fashion lines.
In May 2012, Olsen began a relationship with Olivier Sarkozy, half brother of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy. In March 2014, photos were published showing Olsen wearing what appeared to be an engagement ring. Olsen and Sarkozy were married on November 27, 2015 at a private residence in New York City.
In mid-2004, Olsen announced she had entered treatment for anorexia nervosa. A Got Milk? ad featuring the twins was pulled following the announcement. On November 20, 2007, she was hospitalized for a reported kidney infection.
Death of Heath Ledger
Mary-Kate was a close friend of late actor Heath Ledger. After discovering Ledger unconscious in his bed in January 2008, his masseuse called Olsen twice before contacting police. Olsen sent a private security guard to the scene.
Responding to a claim by an anonymous law enforcement official that she would not speak to federal investigators without a promise of legal immunity, Olsen's attorney Michael C. Miller said, "We have provided the government with relevant information including facts in the chronology of events surrounding Mr. Ledger's death and the fact that Ms. Olsen does not know the source of the drugs Mr. Ledger consumed".
|2006||Factory Girl||Molly Spencer/Art Gallery Patron|
|2007||Weeds||Tara Lindman||Recurring in season 3 (8 episodes)|
|2008||Samantha Who?||Natalie||Episode: "Help!"|
Awards and honors
- 1989: Won – Young Artist Award Best Young Actor/Actress – Under Five Years of Age (with Ashley Olsen) for Full House
- 1990: Won – Young Artist Award Outstanding Performance by an Actress Under Nine Years of Age (with Ashley Olsen) for Full House
- 1992: Won – Young Artist Award Exceptional Performance by a Young Actress Under Ten (with Ashley Olsen) for Full House
- 1994: Won – Young Artist Award Best Youth Actress in a TV Mini-Series, M.O.W. or Special (with Ashley Olsen) for Double, Double, Toil and Trouble
- 1996: Nominated – Young Artist Award Best Performance by an Actress Under Ten – Feature Film for It Takes Two
- 1996: Won – Kids' Choice Awards Favorite Movie Actress (with Ashley Olsen) for It Takes Two
- 1999: Won – Kids' Choice Awards Favorite TV Actress (with Ashley Olsen) for Two of a Kind
- 2002: Nominated – Daytime Emmy Award Outstanding Performer in a Children's Series for So Little Time
- 2004: Nominated – Teen Choice Awards Choice Movie Blush (with Ashley Olsen) for New York Minute
- 2004: Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (with Ashley Olsen)
- 2004: Nominated – TV Land Awards Quintessential Non-Traditional Family (with Candace Cameron Bure, Dave Coulier, Lori Loughlin, Ashley Olsen, Bob Saget, John Stamos and Jodie Sweetin) for Full House
- 2014: Won – Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Accessory Designer of the Year (with Ashley Olsen)
- "Mary-Kate Olsen". People. Archived from the original on September 5, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "Olsen twins: We’re all about fashion". Yahoo! News. May 11, 2012. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "The Birth of Mary-Kate Olsen". Californiabirthindex.org. n.d.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen Biography (1986– )". Filmreference.com. n.d. Archived from the original on October 4, 2013. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Biography". Bio. A&E Television Networks. Retrieved May 29, 2010.
- Tauber, Michelle (May 3, 2004). "Two Cool". People. Vol. 61 No. 17
- Hopkins, Jim (May 6, 2005). "Billion-dollar teens take business seriously". USA Today. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "Act 2 for the Olsen twins: A fashion career - USATODAY.com". usatoday.com. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen steps out solo as "Weeds" regular". Reuters. May 24, 2007.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen Guest Stars on Samantha Who?". People. June 24, 2008. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- "A 'Beastly' Halloween Treat Features Mary-Kate Olsen". Bloody-disgusting.com. October 30, 2009. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- Leora Arnowitz. "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have not agreed to do 'Fuller House,' sources say". Fox News. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Olsen twins: We won't act again". The Sydney Morning Herald. March 7, 2012.
- "Mary-Kate, Ashley Olsen 'want to launch shop'". Digital Spy. May 30, 2012. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "'We think big... huge!': Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen pose in pyjamas as they reveal secrets behind their billion dollar empire". Daily Mail. March 23, 2011
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen will not appear on "Full House" revival". cbsnews.com. May 25, 2015. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- Michael Ausiello. "Olsen Twins in ‘Fuller House’: Ashley and Mary-Kate in Netflix Revival – TVLine". TVLine. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's Video Library Coming to Nickelodeon". Us Weekly. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- Goldman, Lea and Kiri Blakeley (December 18, 2007). "In Pictures: The Richest 20 Women In Entertainment". Forbes.
- Grossberg, Josh. Mary-Kate, Ashley: No Sweat. E! Online. December 9, 2004.
- Hall, Sarah.Olsen Twins Strike a Pose. E! Online. February 16, 2006.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen launch StyleMint". SheKnows. July 7, 2011. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- Balser, Erin (June 25, 2009). "Mary-Kate and Ashley are on Glamour UK's Best Dressed List". Crushable.com. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- Lomrantz, Tracey (February 24, 2010). "Best Dressed In The Front Row Of Burberry: Vote Now! : Slaves to Fashion: Fashion". Glamour. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- "peta2's 'Worst-Dressed' Celebrities 2009 | peta2.com". PETA. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Create a Change Purse for Charity. Stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com (August 8, 2011). Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- Olsen Twins Join Forces with TOMS Shoes. Usmagazine.com (July 22, 2011). Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- Mary Kate & Ashley team with Italian sneaker brand Superga. Prettytough.com (September 13, 2011). Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- "Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen Launch Perfume For Elizabeth and James Brand". The Huffington Post. September 13, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Win Top Prize At CFDA Fashion Awards". The Huffington Post. June 5, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Fashion's favourite twins Mary-Kate and Ashley launch stylish new line". Mail Online. June 19, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen honoured for influence on American luxury at Innovator Of The Year Awards". Mail Online. October 19, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- Lauren Cochrane. "How the Olsen twins won over the fashion world". the Guardian. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- Caplan, David. (July 31, 2008) SNEAK PEEK: Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen's New Book. People.com. Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- Sherpe, Gina (December 9, 2005). "Mary-Kate Talks Paris, Stavros". E! News. Archived from the original on March 22, 2006.
- McNeil, Liz; Kappes, Serena (September 7, 2004). "Mary-Kate Olsen and Boyfriend Call It Quits". People (Time Inc.). Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Bernstein, Jacob (March 28, 2012). "Life on the Other Side of the Lens". The New York Times. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Maresca, Rachel (August 16, 2013). "Mary-Kate Olsen bonds with boyfriend Olivier Sarkozy's young daughter during shopping trip". Daily News (New York City). Archived from the original on February 18, 2015. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen Engaged to Olivier Sarkozy". People. March 2, 2014. Archived from the original on September 5, 2015. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen had ‘bowls of cigarettes’ for guests at wedding". People. November 29, 2015. Archived from the original on November 29, 2015. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen Competes in Hamptons Horse Show: Photos". Us Weekly. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen's Horse Marvelous is a Winner!". E! Online. August 29, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- Soriano, César G. (June 22, 2004). "Mary-Kate Olsen seeks treatment for eating disorder". USA Today.
- "Olsen Twins' 'Got Milk?' Ad Pulled" All Business. June 8, 2004. Accessed 2011-02-19.
- "Olsen twins no longer 'Got milk'" MSNBC. July 7, 2004. Accessed 2011-02-19.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen hospitalized for kidney infection". USA Today, November 20, 2007.
- "Masseuse who found Heath Ledger's body made two calls to actress Mary-Kate Olsen before calling emergency services". Daily Mail (London). January 25, 2008.
- "Olsen twin denies Ledger drugs link". AFP. August 6, 2008.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen keeps mum about Ledger's death: police". CBC News. August 4, 2008.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen's Connection To Heath Ledger Death Revealed". Access Hollywood. January 24, 2008. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Tom Hays (August 4, 2008). "Official: Olsen seeks immunity in Ledger probe", Associated Press
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Stun at CFDA Awards, Win Accessories Award – Us Weekly". Us Weekly. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mary-Kate Olsen.|
- Mary-Kate Olsen at the Internet Movie Database
- Mary-Kate Olsen at TV.com
- Elizabeth and James
- Mary-Kate and Ashley at Nickelodeon