Olsen at the Tribeca Film Festival in 2011
June 13, 1986 |
Sherman Oaks, California, U.S.
|Education||Campbell Hall School|
|Occupation||Fashion designer, author, businesswoman, actress, producer|
|Years active||1987–2012 (actress)
2004–present (fashion designer)
|Spouse(s)||Olivier Sarkozy (m. 2015)|
|Relatives||Ashley Olsen (twin sister)
Elizabeth Olsen (sister)
Mary-Kate Olsen (born June 13, 1986) is an American fashion designer, businesswoman, author, and former actress and producer. She began her acting career one year after her birth, sharing the role of Michelle Tanner with her twin sister Ashley Olsen in the television sitcom, Full House (1987-1995). They also starred in numerous films together.
In 1993, the production company Dualstar Entertainment Group was founded, which produced a long string of TV movies and direct-to-video releases featuring the girls; they starred in Passport to Paris (1999), Our Lips Are Sealed (2000), Winning London (2001), Holiday in the Sun (2001) and in the television series, So Little Time (2001-2002), for which she was nominated for a Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Performer in Children's Programming.
They starred in, Getting There (2002), When in Rome (2002), The Challenge (2003) and made cameos in Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003). The last film she starred in with her twin sister was New York Minute (2004). She continued with her acting career independently, appearing with a few guest-star roles in films and television shows, and with her last film being Beastly (2011).
In March 2012, both Mary-Kate and Ashley officially indicated their interest to retire as actresses in order to focus on their careers in the fashion industry.
She and her twin sister co-founded luxury fashion brands, The Row, Elizabeth and James, and more affordable fashion lines, Olsenboye and StyleMint. They co-authored the book, Influence, featuring interviews with fashion designers that have inspired the their fashion lines. They are members of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
- 1 Birth and family
- 2 Acting career
- 3 Fashion career
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Birth and family
Mary-Kate Olsen was born in Sherman Oaks, California, the daughter of Jarnette "Jarnie" (née Jones; b. 1954), a personal manager, and David "Dave" Olsen, a real estate developer and mortgage banker. Along with her twin, Ashley, she has an older brother, Trent, a younger sister, Elizabeth Olsen, and two half siblings, Taylor and Jake, from her father's second marriage. Olsen's parents divorced in 1996. She attended the Campbell Hall School in Los Angeles. Olsen began horseback riding at 6 years old. During her time at the Campbell Hall School, she was on the school's horseback riding team. She stopped riding when her family moved to New York City but eventually began again.
Mary-Kate and Ashley attended New York University’s Gallatin School of Individualized Study, beginning in 2004. In 2013, her horse, Marvelous, ridden by James Anderson, won the 38th Hampton Classic Horse Show.
She began her acting career at the age of nine months old when she and her twin sister, Ashley Olsen, were hired to share the role of Michelle Tanner on the popular television sitcom Full House (1987-1995). Later on in the series, they were both seen together revealing that they were in fact twins.
She starred alongside her twin sister in the films, To Grandmother's House We Go (1992), Double, Double, Toil and Trouble (1993), How the West Was Fun (1994), It Takes Two (1995), Billboard Dad (1998) and in the television series, Two of a Kind (1998-1999). In 1997, the Olsen twins guest starred in an episode of Sister, Sister, alongside rival twin actresses Tia Mowry and Tamera Mowry.
In 1993, following Mary-Kate and Ashley's success on Full House, a limited liability company, Dualstar Entertainment Group was created to produce Mary-Kate and Ashley-branded products. It produced a successful long string of TV movies and direct-to-video releases featuring the girls. They starred in Passport to Paris (1999), Our Lips Are Sealed (2000), Winning London (2001), Holiday in the Sun (2001) and in the television series, So Little Time (2001-2002).
She an her twin sister became household names and a popular figures in the preteen market during the late 1990s and early 2000s, with her likeness seen in clothes, books, fragrances, magazines, movies, and posters, among others. There were fashion dolls of her made by Mattel from 2000 to 2005. They also starred in the films Getting There (2002), When in Rome (2002), The Challenge (2003) and made cameos in Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003). In 2004, the twins appeared in the theatrical light-hearted romantic comedy, New York Minute.
In 2004, both Mary-Kate and Ashley took control of Dualstar, becoming joint-CEOs and presidents of the company, which at the time had its merchandise being carried in over 3,000 stores in America and 5,300 stores worldwide. Olsen and her sister became co-presidents of Dualstar upon their eighteenth birthday.
These ventures, combined with an array of licensing deals for their names and likenesses, made Olsen wealthy at a young age. In 2004, Olsen's wealth was estimated at $137 million.
Olsen's first solo acting appearance was in the movie Factory Girl (2006). Her one short scene was ultimately cut from theatrical release, but was included on the film's DVD.
In 2008, Olsen made a guest appearance on the ABC comedy Samantha Who? as a self-destructive girl that Samantha tries to help. She also appeared in the film The Wackness (2008). Olsen appeared in the motion picture adaption of the Alex Flinn novel Beastly (2011), which was her final acting project.
In March 2012, both Mary-Kate and Ashley indicated their interest to retire as actresses in order to focus on their careers in fashion. Mary-Kate and Ashley felt that their futures were in fashion, and not in acting. They discussed wanting to open a store as one of their future fashion-based endeavors.
In 2015, it was announced that John Stamos signed on with Netflix to produce and co-star in Fuller House, a spin-off of Full House that would reunite the original cast members for a 13-episode series. Mary-Kate and Ashley originally announced in May 2015 that they will not reprise their role as Michelle Tanner. Nickelodeon acquired the rights to the Olsen twins' video library in 2015.
Net worth and influence
Mary-Kate and her twin Ashley's success has been marked by their inclusion on every Forbes The Celebrity 100 list since 2002,. In 2007, Forbes ranked the twins jointly as the eleventh-richest women in entertainment, with an estimated combined net worth of $300 million. Forbes had the twins on their 30 Under 30: All-Star Alumni list in 2017.
Following a high volume of public interest in their fashion choices, the sisters began work in collaboration on a string of fashion lines available to the public. Starting as young girls, the Olsen twins started a clothing line in Wal-Mart stores across America for girls ages 4 to 14 as well as a beauty line called "Mary-Kate and Ashley: Real fashion for real girls".
In 2004, they made news by signing a pledge to allow all the workers that sew their line of clothing in Bangladesh full maternity leave. The National Labor Committee, which organized the pledge, later praised the twins for their commitment to worker rights.
Business and philanthropy
As adults, the Olsen twins have devoted much of their attention to the world of fashion. They head a designer fashion label, "The Row," as well as "Elizabeth and James", "Olsenboye", and "StyleMint" retail collections.
The idea for The Row started as a personal project in 2005 when her twin sister, Ashley Olsen, challenged herself to create a perfect T-shirt. She tested the design on a variety of women of all body shapes and ages in an attempt to find a "commonality in fit and attitude."
In 2006, in an attempt to gain credibility in the fashion industry after their association with Wal-Mart tarnished their reputations, they were tapped as the faces of the upscale fashion line Badgley Mischka.
In 2008, the Olsen twins co-authored, Influence, a book featuring interviews with fashion designers that have inspired the twins' fashion lines.
Mary-Kate and Ashley designed an Olsenboye Change Purse in 2011 and donated the money to "Pennies From Heaven".
Mary-Kate and Ashley are members of the Council of Fashion Designers of America, CFDA a not-for-profit trade association of over 450 prominent American fashion and accessory designers. Mary-Kate and Ashley are now the creative directors for Superga.
In May 2012, Olsen began a relationship with Olivier Sarkozy, half brother of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy. In March 2014, photos were published showing Olsen wearing what appeared to be an engagement ring. Olsen and Sarkozy were married on November 27, 2015, at a private residence in New York City.
In mid-2004, Olsen announced she had entered treatment for anorexia nervosa. A Got Milk? advertisement featuring the twins was pulled following the announcement. On November 20, 2007, she was hospitalized for a reported kidney infection.
Death of Heath Ledger
Mary-Kate was a close friend of late actor Heath Ledger. After discovering Ledger unconscious in his bed in January 2008, his massage therapist called Olsen twice before contacting police. Olsen sent a private security guard to the scene.
Responding to a claim by an anonymous law enforcement official that she would not speak to federal investigators without a promise of legal immunity, Olsen's attorney Michael C. Miller said, "We have provided the government with relevant information including facts in the chronology of events surrounding Mr. Ledger's death and the fact that Ms. Olsen does not know the source of the drugs Mr. Ledger consumed".
|2006||Factory Girl||Molly Spence|
|2013||Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf's||Herself||Documentary|
|2007||Weeds||Tara Lindman||Recurring role (Season 3)|
|2008||Samantha Who?||Natalie||Episode: "Help!"|
Awards and nominations
|1989||Young Artist Awards||Best Young Actor/Actress – Under Five Years of Age (with Ashley Olsen)||Full House||Won|
|1990||Outstanding Performance by an Actress Under Nine Years of Age (with Ashley Olsen)||Full House||Won|
|1992||Exceptional Performance by a Young Actress Under Ten (with Ashley Olsen)||Full House||Won|
|1994||Best Youth Actress in a TV Mini-Series, M.O.W. or Special (with Ashley Olsen)||Double, Double, Toil and Trouble||Won|
|1996||Best Performance by an Actress Under Ten – Feature Film||It Takes Two||Nominated|
|Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Movie Actress (with Ashley Olsen)||It Takes Two||Won|
|1999||Favorite TV Actress (with Ashley Olsen)||It Takes Two||Won|
|2002||Daytime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Performer in a Children's Series||So Little Time||Nominated|
|2004||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Blush (with Ashley Olsen)||New York Minute||Nominated|
|2012||Council of Fashion Designers of America||Womenswear Designer of the Year (with Ashley Olsen)||The Row||Won|||
|Wall Street Journal||Innovator of the Year: Fashion (with Ashley Olsen)||The Row||Won|||
|2014||Council of Fashion Designers of America||Accessories Designer of the Year (with Ashley Olsen)||The Row||Won|||
|2015||Council of Fashion Designers of America||Accessories Designer of the Year (with Ashley Olsen)||The Row||Nominated|||
|Council of Fashion Designers of America||Womenswear Designer of the Year (with Ashley Olsen)||The Row||Won|||
|2016||Council of Fashion Designers of America||Accessories Designer of the Year (with Ashley Olsen)||The Row||Nominated|
|Council of Fashion Designers of America||Womenswear Designer of the Year (with Ashley Olsen)||The Row||Nominated|
|2017||Council of Fashion Designers of America||Accessories Designer of the Year (with Ashley Olsen)||The Row||Nominated|||
|Council of Fashion Designers of America||Womenswear Designer of the Year (with Ashley Olsen)||The Row||Nominated|||
The Council of Fashion Designers of America Awards
They won the top prize at the 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen". People. Archived from the original on September 5, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "Olsen twins: We're all about fashion". Yahoo! News. May 11, 2012. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "The Birth of Mary-Kate Olsen". Californiabirthindex.org. n.d.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen Biography (1986– )". Filmreference.com. n.d. Archived from the original on October 4, 2013. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Biography". Bio. A&E Television Networks. Archived from the original on May 31, 2010. Retrieved May 29, 2010.
- Tauber, Michelle (May 3, 2004). "Two Cool". People. Vol. 61 No. 17
- Sessums, Kevin (June 2, 2008). "The Tao of Mary-Kate". Elle. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- "Rider Profile: Mary-Kate Olsen". Saugerties, New York: Horse Shows in the Sun. n.d. Archived from the original on November 8, 2016. Retrieved November 9, 2016.
- Baum, Geraldine (September 13, 2004). "At NYU, but in a class of their own". LA Times. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen's Horse Marvelous is a Winner!". E! Online. August 29, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- Hopkins, Jim (May 6, 2005). "Billion-dollar teens take business seriously". USA Today. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "Act 2 for the Olsen twins: A fashion career". USA Today. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen steps out solo as "Weeds" regular". Reuters. May 24, 2007.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen Guest Stars on Samantha Who?". People. June 24, 2008. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- Leora Arnowitz. "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have not agreed to do 'Fuller House,' sources say". Fox News. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "A 'Beastly' Halloween Treat Features Mary-Kate Olsen". Bloody-disgusting.com. October 30, 2009. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- "Olsen twins: We won't act again". The Sydney Morning Herald. March 7, 2012.
- "Mary-Kate, Ashley Olsen 'want to launch shop'". Digital Spy. May 30, 2012. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "'We think big... huge!': Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen pose in pyjamas as they reveal secrets behind their billion dollar empire". Daily Mail. March 23, 2011
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen will not appear on "Full House" revival". cbsnews.com. May 25, 2015. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's Video Library Coming to Nickelodeon". Us Weekly. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- Said, Sammy. "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Net WorthMary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Net Worth". TheRichest. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen".
- Grossberg, Josh. Mary-Kate, Ashley: No Sweat. E! Online. December 9, 2004.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen launch StyleMint". SheKnows. July 7, 2011. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "The Row: The Quiet Ones". Women's Wear Daily, April 29, 2015.
- "Behind The Row: Meet Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen". Vogue, March 22, 2011.
- Hall, Sarah.Olsen Twins Strike a Pose. E! Online. February 16, 2006.
- Caplan, David. (July 31, 2008) SNEAK PEEK: Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen's New Book. People.com. Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- Olsen Twins Join Forces with TOMS Shoes. Usmagazine.com (July 22, 2011). Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Create a Change Purse for Charity Archived September 6, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.. Stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com (August 8, 2011). Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen honoured for influence on American luxury at Innovator Of The Year Awards". Mail Online. October 19, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen Launch Perfume For Elizabeth and James Brand". The Huffington Post. September 13, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "Fashion's favourite twins Mary-Kate and Ashley launch stylish new line". Mail Online. June 19, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- Balser, Erin (June 25, 2009). "Mary-Kate and Ashley are on Glamour UK's Best Dressed List". Crushable.com. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- Lomrantz, Tracey (February 24, 2010). "Best Dressed In The Front Row Of Burberry: Vote Now! : Slaves to Fashion: Fashion". Glamour. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- "peta2's 'Worst-Dressed' Celebrities 2009 | peta2.com". PETA. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- Mary Kate & Ashley team with Italian sneaker brand Superga. Prettytough.com (September 13, 2011). Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- McNeil, Liz; Kappes, Serena (September 7, 2004). "Mary-Kate Olsen and Boyfriend Call It Quits". People. Time Inc. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Bernstein, Jacob (March 28, 2012). "Life on the Other Side of the Lens". The New York Times. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Maresca, Rachel (August 16, 2013). "Mary-Kate Olsen bonds with boyfriend Olivier Sarkozy's young daughter during shopping trip". Daily News. New York City. Archived from the original on February 18, 2015. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen Engaged to Olivier Sarkozy". People. March 2, 2014. Archived from the original on September 5, 2015. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen had 'bowls of cigarettes' for guests at wedding". People. November 29, 2015. Archived from the original on November 29, 2015. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- Soriano, César G. (June 22, 2004). "Mary-Kate Olsen seeks treatment for eating disorder". USA Today.
- "Olsen Twins' 'Got Milk?' Ad Pulled" All Business. June 8, 2004. Accessed February 19, 2011.
- "Olsen twins no longer 'Got milk'" MSNBC. July 7, 2004. Accessed February 19, 2011.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen hospitalized for kidney infection". USA Today, November 20, 2007.
- "Masseuse who found Heath Ledger's body made two calls to actress Mary-Kate Olsen before calling emergency services". Daily Mail. London. January 25, 2008.
- "Olsen twin denies Ledger drugs link". AFP. August 6, 2008.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen keeps mum about Ledger's death: police". CBC News. August 4, 2008.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen's Connection To Heath Ledger Death Revealed". Access Hollywood. January 24, 2008. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Tom Hays (August 4, 2008). "Official: Olsen seeks immunity in Ledger probe", Associated Press
- "The Row Wins CFDA Womenswear Designer of the Year Once Again". fashionista.com, June 1, 2015.
- "Sisters of the Divine". Wall Street Journal, October 25, 2012.
- "And the 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards Winners are…". cfda.com, June 3, 2014.
- "2017 CFDA Fashion Awards Nominees Named". wwd.com, March 23, 2017.
- "2012 CFDA Awards: Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Win Big, Johnny Depp Honored as Fashion Icon".
- "And the Winners Are: Announcing the 2015 CFDA Fashion Awards".
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Win Top Prize At CFDA Fashion Awards". The Huffington Post. June 5, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mary-Kate Olsen.|