Mary Katharine Ham
|Mary Katharine Ham|
Mary Katharine Ham at CPAC 2015
April 5, 1980 |
Montgomery, Alabama, USA
|Spouse(s)||Jake Brewer, 2011–2015 (his death)|
Mary Katharine Ham (born April 5, 1980) is an American journalist. She is editor at large of Hot Air, a contributing editor to Townhall Magazine, and a Fox News Channel contributor. At CPAC 2014, she was presented with the ACU Blogger of the Year award.
Life and career
Ham was born on April 5, 1980, in Montgomery, Alabama. She was raised in Durham, North Carolina, and graduated from Riverside High School in 1998. She graduated in 2002 with a bachelor of arts degree in Journalism from the University of Georgia.
Ham wrote for the Richmond County Daily Journal, Townhall.com where she was a columnist and managing editor, and The Washington Examiner. Her video blog series for Townhall.com, HamNation, won a Golden Dot award for Best Vlog of 2006 from the Institute for Politics, Democracy & the Internet and her HamNation video, "Sopranos DC", was voted "Video of the Year" in the 2007 Weblog Awards. The series ended in June 2008.
She has written for The Daily Caller and The Weekly Standard and is a paid contributor on the Fox News Channel. Ham appears regularly on Bill O'Reilly's Fox News Channel program, The O'Reilly Factor, usually with Juan Williams, and she has been a guest panelist on Fox's late-night satire show Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld. On February 4, 2014, she appeared on The View as a guest co-host. Ham describes her political leaning as "primarily fiscal- and security-conscious conservative".
Ham was married to Jake Brewer, a White House aide and co-founder with Jose Antonio Vargas of immigration activism group Define American. They married in 2011, and in August 2013 Ham gave birth to their first child, a daughter, Georgia Brewer. Jake Brewer died from injuries sustained in a bicycle accident in September 2015,  when Ham was expecting their second child. On November 28, 2015, Ham gave birth to another daughter, who she named Garnet J. Brewer, in honor of her late husband.
Her father, Jon Ham, is also a journalist and blogger.
- End of Discussion: How the Left’s Outrage Industry Shuts Down Debate, Manipulates Voters, and Makes America Less Free (and Fun) Hardcover with Guy Benson 2015
- Rothstein, Betsy (July 11, 2012). "Ham Now Officially Full of HotAir". FishbowlDC, The Revolving Door. Mediabistro, Inc. Retrieved November 9, 2013.
- "ACU Announced Mary Katharine Ham as Blogger of the Year ...". The American Conservative Union. March 6, 2014. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Ham, Jon (August 17, 2011). "Trinity Park's Mary Katharine Ham to speak in Durham". JLF Triangles Blog. John Locke Foundation.
- Patrick (May 27, 2008). "Katharine Ham LeavesTownHall.com For DCExaminer.com". FishbowlDC, The Revolving Door. Mediabistro, Inc. Retrieved September 28, 2009.
- Kevin Aylward (November 11, 2007). "Video of the Year". The 2007 Weblog Awards.
- Mary Katharine Ham (June 6, 2008). "Last HamNation: Obama on Your Shoulder!". Townhall.com.
- Brewer, Jake (August 22, 2011). "The Morning Majority on WMAL". Flickr. Retrieved March 6, 2014.
- Rothstein, Betsy (March 5, 2012). "WMAL's Ham Abruptly Signs Off". FishbowlDC, The Revolving Door. Mediabistro, Inc. Retrieved November 9, 2013.
- Treacher, Jim (February 7, 2014). "And here's Mary Katharine Ham on The View [VIDEO]". The Daily Caller. Retrieved March 10, 2014.
- Ryan Grim (June 3, 2007). "BlogJam: Hammin' it up". The Politico.
- CPAC 2014 – Blogger of the Year Award – Mary Katharine Ham. YouTube. March 7, 2014. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- "Mary Katharine's Husband JAKE BREWER on WMAL". YouTube. 2011. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Balingit, Moriah; Faiz Siddiqui (September 20, 2015). "'I lost part of my heart': Beloved White House staffer Jake Brewer mourned – The Washington Post". The Washington Post. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "Fantastic news! Conservative superstar Mary Katharine Ham is expecting a baby". Twitchy Media. June 7, 2013. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
I make a joyous announcement on a wholesome late-night show
- "Timeline Photos". Facebook. August 11, 2013. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Joyella, Mark (November 30, 2015). "Mary Katherine Ham Gives Birth to Daughter". TV Newser (AdWeek). Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Carolina Journal Print Columnists – Jon Ham". Carolina Journal Online. 2014.
- Mary Katharine Ham on Facebook
- Mary Katharine Ham on Twitter
- Mary Katharine Ham on Hot Air.com
- Archived 'HamNation' videos at Townhall.com
- Archived columns at Townhall.com
- Archived blog at Townhall.com
- Mary Katharine Ham on The Daily Caller
- Appearances on C-SPAN