|President of the Wisconsin Senate|
January 5, 2015 – January 3, 2017
|Preceded by||Michael Ellis|
|Succeeded by||Roger Roth|
|Member of the Wisconsin Senate
from the 28th district
April 1998 – January 2, 2017
|Preceded by||Lynn Adelman|
|Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly
from the 84th district
January 1993 – April 1998
|Preceded by||Marc Duff|
|Succeeded by||Mark Gundrum|
October 3, 1952 |
Loyal, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee|
Mary Lazich (born October 3, 1952) was a Republican member of the Wisconsin Senate, representing the 28th District since a special election in April 1998. She was elected as president of the Wisconsin Senate in January 2015, the first female ever elected to that position. She was previously a member of the Wisconsin Assembly from 1992 through 1998.
On March 21, 2016, Lazich announced that she would not run for re-election in 2016.
Lazich received a B.A. from the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, graduating summa cum laude. She was a New Berlin city councilwoman from 1986 through 1992, and a Waukesha County Board supervisor from 1990 through 1993.
In 2004, Lazich was criticized for lying about her vote for Senate Majority Leader.
|Democratic||Kathleen S. Arciszewski||29,519||32.46%|
2011 recall attempt
Senator Lazich was the subject of a recall attempt as part of the 2011 Wisconsin protests due to her support of Governor Scott Walker's budget repair bill that repeals collective bargaining on benefits for public employees. However, the recall attempt failed to get enough signatures to be put on the ballot.
- White, Laurel (March 21, 2016). "Wisconsin Senate President Mary Lazich Won't Seek Re-Election". Wisconsin Public Radio News.
- Masse, Ryan (November 16, 2004). "Senator admits to lying about vote". The Badger Herald. Retrieved April 21, 2011.
- "Fall General Election – 11/07/2000; State Senate, District No. 28". Wisconsin State Elections Board. November 30, 2000. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 10, 2011. Retrieved April 21, 2011.
- "Fall General Election – 11/02/2004; State Senate, District No. 28". Wisconsin State Elections Board. December 1, 2004. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 10, 2011. Retrieved April 21, 2011.
- "Fall General Election – 11/04/2008; State Senate, District No. 28". Wisconsin State Elections Board. November 24, 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 20, 2011. Retrieved April 21, 2011.
- "Fall General Election – 11/06/2012; State Senate, District No. 28" (PDF). Ballotpedia. November 30, 2012. Retrieved March 21, 2016.
- "Committee to Recall Lazich". Wisconsin Government Accountability Board. March 9, 2011. Retrieved April 21, 2011.
- Tolan, Tom (May 2, 2011). "Grothman, Lazich recall efforts fall short on signatures". Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. Retrieved March 21, 2016.
- Senator Mary Lazich at the Wisconsin State Legislature
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- 28th Senate District, Senator Lazich in the Wisconsin Blue Book (2005–2006)
|This article about a Wisconsin politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|