Mary M. Schroeder
|Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit|
November 30, 2000 – December 1, 2007
|Preceded by||Procter Hug|
|Succeeded by||Alex Kozinski|
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit|
September 26, 1979 – January 1, 2012
|Appointed by||Jimmy Carter|
|Preceded by||Seat established|
|Succeeded by||Andrew Hurwitz|
December 4, 1940 |
Boulder, Colorado, U.S.
|Education||Swarthmore College (BA)
University of Chicago (JD)
Mary M. Schroeder (born December 4, 1940) is a Senior Circuit Judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Schroeder received her B.A. from Swarthmore College in 1962 and her J.D. from the University of Chicago in 1965, one of six women in her class. She received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Swarthmore College in May 2006.
Schroeder practiced as a trial attorney with the Civil Division of the United States Department of Justice from 1965 until 1969. She served as a law clerk to Justice Jesse Addison Udall of the Arizona Supreme Court in 1970. She joined the law firm of Lewis & Roca in Phoenix, Arizona, in 1971 and became a partner in 1973. She was appointed to the Arizona Court of Appeals in 1975 and served until 1979, when she was nominated by President Jimmy Carter and appointed to the Ninth Circuit. She served as Chief Judge of the Ninth Circuit from 2000 to 2007, the first woman to hold that position.
Schroeder was elected to the American Law Institute in 1974 and was elected to the ALI Council in 1993. She served as an Adviser on the Restatement Third of Agency and currently serves as an Adviser on the Restatement Third, The Law of Consumer Contracts and Principles of Government Ethics.
- The northern spotted owl, a case related to the Endangered Species Act
- The Napster file trading software copyright infringement appeal.
- Hirabayashi v. United States [coram nobis]
- Jespersen v. Harrah's Operating Co. holding an employer's grooming standards that appropriately discriminate by gender (here requiring women to wear makeup to work) are not facially discriminatory under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, 42 U.S.C. § 2000e et seq.
She is married to Milton Schroeder, a professor at the Arizona State University College of Law, and has two children.
- American Law Institute - Officers and Council
- Restatement Third, the Law of Consumer Contracts - Project Participants
- Principles of Government Ethics - Project Participants
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mary M. Schroeder.|
- Mary M. Schroeder at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
|New seat||Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
|Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit