Mary M. Talbot
|Alma mater||Lancaster University|
|Occupation||Author and academic|
Mary Talbot is a British academic and author. She has written several well received academic works in critical discourse analysis and since 2009 has turned her hand to freelance writing. Her first graphic novel Dotter of Her Father's Eyes, published by Jonathan Cape in 2012 and illustrated by her husband Bryan Talbot won the 2012 Costa biography prize.
Talbot gained a PhD in critical discourse analysis from Lancaster University. Following a variety of teaching posts, she became Reader in Language and Culture at the University of Sunderland in 1997.
- Rain (Graphic Novel) with illustrations by Bryan Talbot. 2019.
- Talbot, Mary M., with illustrations by Bryan Talbot. 2016. The Red Virgin and the Vision of Utopia. Graphic Novel Milwaukie, OR: Dark Horse Comics.
- Talbot, Mary M., with illustrations by Kate Charlesworth. 2014. Sally Heathcote: Suffragette. Graphic novel Milwaukie, OR: Dark Horse Comics.
- Talbot, Mary M., and Bryan Talbot. 2012. Dotter of Her Father's Eyes. Graphic novel Milwaukie, OR: Dark Horse Comics.
- Talbot, Mary M. 1998. Language and gender: an introduction. Cambridge, UK: Polity Press.
- Talbot, Mary M. 1995. Fictions at work: language and social practice in fiction. London: Longman.
- Talbot, Mary. 1992 "The construction of gender in a teenage magazine." Critical language awareness: 174–200.
- Cooke, Rachel (27 January 2012). "Dotter of Her Father's Eyes by Mary M Talbot and Bryan Talbot – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- "Hilary Mantel wins 2012 Costa novel prize". BBC News. 2 January 2013. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- Brown, Mark (2 January 2013). "Costa awards 2012: graphic biography wins category prize". The Guardian.
- Mary M. Talbot's Personal page (Accessed Jan 2013) Archived 2012-11-28 at the Wayback Machine
- Salzmann, Z. 2000. "Talbot: Language and gender: An introduction". LANGUAGE -BALTIMORE- LINGUISTIC SOCIETY OF AMERICA-. 76: 201.
- Roberts, F. 2000. "Mary M. Talbot, Language and Gender: An Introduction". DISCOURSE STUDIES -QUARTERLY-. 2: 124-125
- Sunderland, Jane. 2007. "Book Review: Language and Gender". European Journal of Women's Studies. 14 (2): 171-174.