Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, United States
|Years active||1994 – present|
Mary Zophres is an American costume designer who has worked in the film industry since 1994. She has been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Costume Design twice for True Grit (2010) and for La La Land (2016). She has also been nominated for the BAFTA Award for Best Costume Design three times for Catch Me If You Can (2002), True Grit, and La La Land.
Zophres was born in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. She has Greek roots, with her father having been born in Ioannina. She attended Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, New York, and she graduated with degrees in art history and studio art. Zophres worked in the fashion industry for Norma Kamali and Esprit. She was hired as the extras wardrobe supervisor for Oliver Stone's 1989 film Born on the Fourth of July, working under costume designer Judy Ruskin. She subsequently worked as associate costume designer for Ruskin for three more films, including the 1991 film City Slickers. Zophres moved to Los Angeles and worked for designer Richard Hornung on three films, including the 1994 film The Hudsucker Proxy by the Coen brothers. When Hornung was too sick to work on the Coens' 1996 film Fargo, Zophres took over. She subsequently had a creative partnership with the Coen brothers on all of their subsequent films and has also worked on a variety of other films.
|Hamilton Behind the Camera Awards||Best Costume Design||2018||First Man||Won|||
- "Academy Awards Database". oscars.org. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on February 8, 2009. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- "Search Results". bafta.org. British Academy of Film and Television Arts. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- Staff (February 13, 2017). "Greek-American Oscar Nominee Mary Zophres on La La Land". The National Herald. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- Landis, Deborah Nadoolman (2012). Filmcraft: Costume Design. Focal Press. p. 177. ISBN 978-0-240-81866-5.
- "Filmmakers | Mary Zophres | Inside Llewyn Davis". insidellewyndavis.com. StudioCanal. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- "The 10th Hamilton Behind the Camera Awards". Hamilton Behind the Camera Awards. November 2018.