|Born||September 12, 1902
|Died||January 19, 1982
Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts
|Alma mater||Valparaiso University
University of Wisconsin–Madison
|Notable works||Cold Morning Sky|
|Notable awards||Pulitzer Prize for Poetry (1938)|
|Spouse||Horace Gregory (m. 1925)|
She was born in Kiev and her family emigrated to the United States, when she was eight and lived in New York. Like many immigrants, she worked in a clothing factory during the day, but was able to attend night high school. She was an outstanding student and won a scholarship to Valparaiso University; she later transferred to the University of Wisconsin–Madison, receiving a degree in library science. She met her husband, the prize-winning poet Horace Gregory there; they married in 1925. Her two children were Patrick and Joanna Gregory. She wrote eight volumes of poetry, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning Cold Morning Sky, and she edited six anthologies of poetry.
- 1938 Pulitzer Prize
- "The White Dress", Bob Richmond, 6-20-2001
- Threshold and Heart. The Macmillan company. 1934.
- Cold Morning Sky. Macmillan. 1937.
- The Golden Mirror. New York: The Macmillan company. 1944.
- Selected poems. Grove Press. 1954.
- Collected Poems. Viking Press. 1965.
- The Hidden Waterfall: poems. Vanguard Press. 1974.
- Robert S. Phillips, ed. (2002). New selected poems of Marya Zaturenska. Syracuse University Press. ISBN 978-0-8156-0717-5.
- Christina Georgina Rossetti (1970). Marya Zaturenska, ed. Selected poems of Christina Rossetti. Macmillan.
- Mary Beth Hinton, ed. (2002). The diaries of Marya Zaturenska, 1938-1944. Syracuse University Press. ISBN 978-0-8156-0714-4.
- Marya Zaturenska, Horace Gregory (1946). A History of American poetry, 1900-1940. Harcourt, Brace and Co.
- "MARYA ZATURENSKA, LYRIC POET RECEIVED PULITZER PRIZE IN '38". The New York Times. January 21, 1982.
- Sanford V. Sternlicht (2004). "Marya Zaturenska". The tenement saga: the Lower East Side and early Jewish American writers. Terrace Books. ISBN 978-0-299-20484-6.
- Zaturenska, Marya. The New York Times https://query.nytimes.com/search/query?frow=0&n=10&srcht=s&query=Marya+Zaturenska&srchst=p&submit.x=36&submit.y=7&submit=sub&hdlquery=&bylquery=Marya+Zaturenska&daterange=full&mon1=01&day1=01&year1=1981&mon2=06&day2=19&year2=2009. Retrieved May 12, 2010. Missing or empty
|This biographical article about an American poet born between 1900-1909 is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|