|Born||c. 1953 (age 63–64)
Lowell, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Jay O. Sanders (October 1, 1991–present)|
She appeared on Broadway as Bernadette Peters' replacement as "Dot" in Sunday in the Park with George in 1985. In 1987 she won the Tony Award for Best Leading Actress in a Musical for her performance as "Sally Smith" in Me and My Girl.
She appeared in the 1991 Broadway revival of Arthur Miller's The Crucible, in which she played Elizabeth Proctor opposite Martin Sheen as John Proctor, in an all-star cast including Michael York and Fritz Weaver. She was part of the Tony Randall National Actors Theatre company, and performed in their production of Saint Joan by Shaw in 1993 on Broadway. She performed in the National Actors Theatre productions of A Little Hotel on the Side by Georges Feydeau and Maurice Desvallières on Broadway in 1992, and in The Seagull by Anton Chekov in 1992.
- Richard Nelson "Apple Family Plays"
She and her husband Jay O. Sanders appeared together in the Richard Nelson play Sorry in 2012 at the Off-Broadway Public Theatre. She was nominated for the 2013 Drama Desk Award, Outstanding Featured Actress in a Play for her role as "Barbara Apple". Plunkett played the role of "Barbara Apple" in the other Nelson "Apple Family" plays as well. They appeared together in the Off-Broadway production of That Hopey Changey Thing in October 2010 at the Public Theatre. Plunkett and Sanders appeared in Sweet and Sad in September 2011 at the Public Theatre. Sweet and Sad won the 2012 Drama Desk Award, Outstanding Ensemble Performance and the 2012 Obie Award, Ensemble Performance. She appeared in The Apple Family Plays in repertory at the Public Theatre, from October 22, 2013 to December 15.
- Richard Nelson election trilogy
Plunkett and Sanders appear in all three of Nelson's new play cycle, with the overall title of The Gabriels: Election Year in the Life of One Family. The first play, Hungry, premiered in March 2016 at the Public Theatre. The second play, What Did You Expect? ran at the Public Theatre from September 10, 2016 to October 9. The third and final play, Women of a Certain Age, opened on election night, November 8, 2016 and runs to December 4, at the Public Theatre.
- 1982 Agnes of God
- 1985 Sunday in the Park with George
- 1986 Me and My Girl
- 1991 The Crucible
- 1992 A Little Hotel on the Side
- 1992 The Masterbuilder
- 1992 The Seagull
- 1993 Saint Joan
- 2008 A Man for All Seasons
- 2013 The Apple Family Plays (in repertory)
- 2016 The Gabriels (trilogy)
- 1989 The Littlest Victims (TV Movie)
- 1991 Deceptions: A Mother's Secret
- 1992 Breaking the Silence (TV Movie)
- 1998 Claire Dolan
- 2005 The Squid and the Whale
- 2010 The Company Men
- 2010 Blue Valentine
- 2015 True Story
- 2015 The Family Fang
- Kilian, Michael. "Stage-struck" Chicago Tribune, March 21, 1993
- "'Sunday in the Park with George' Replacement Cast" Playbill, accessed February 27, 2016
- "'Me and My Girl' Broadway" Playbill, accessed February 27, 2016
- "'The Crucible' Broadway" Playbill, accessed February 27, 2016
- Gussow, Mel. "Review/Theater; Getting to Know a Joan Who Is Saintly, Shavian And Just a Bit Unlikable" The New York Times, February 1, 1993
- A Little Hotel on the Side ibdb, accessed February 27, 2016
- The Seagull ibdb, accessed February 27, 2016
- Miller, J. Michael. "Interview" theactorscenter.org, January 22, 2013
- Sorry lortel.org, accessed February 27, 2016
- Hetrick, Adam. "Shuler Hensley and Maryann Plunkett Star in 'That Hopey Changey Thing' Starting Oct. 26" Playbill, October 26, 2010
- Hetrick, Adam. "'Sweet and Sad', Starring Shuler Hensley and Maryann Plunkett, Begins at the Public Sept. 6" Playbill, September 6, 2011
- Sweet and Sad lortel.org, accessed February 27, 2016
- Hetrick, Adam. "Richard Nelson's Four-Play Series, 'The Apple Family Plays', Begins in Repertory at the Public Oct. 22", Playbill, October 22, 2013
- Clement, Olivia. "The Public Announces Complete Casting For Richard Nelson Election Trilogy" Playbill, December 16, 2015
- "Election Year in the Life of One Family, Play One: Hungry" lortel.org, accessed February 27, 2016
- Rickwald, Bethany. "In Rehearsal for Richard Nelson's 'Hungry' at the Public" theatermania.com, February 18, 2016
- Clement, Olivia. Richard Nelson Returns to The Public Tonight With Part Two of His Election Trilogy" Playbill, September 10, 2016
- Gordon, David. "Review. 'What Did You Expect?'" TheaterMania.com, September 19, 2016
- Clement, Olivia. "Public Theater Opens Third and Final Play of 'The Gabriels' Tonight" Playbill, November 8, 2016
- Spaner, Whitney. "How Jay O. Sanders and Maryann Plunkett Became Co-Stars In Life and Onstage" Playbill, February 27, 2016
- "Maryann Plunkett Broadway" Playbill, accessed February 27, 2016
- "Maryann Plunkett Off-Broadway" lortel.org, accessed February 27, 2016
- The Littlest Victims hollywood.com, accessed February 27, 2016
- Breaking the Silence tcm.com, accessed February 27, 2016
- Claire Dolan tcm.com, accessed February 27, 2016
- Gettell, Oliver (2016-04-08). "Dysfunction raised to an art form in Jason Bateman's Family Fang trailer — exclusive". Entertainment Weekly.