Maryland Route 315
Maryland Route 315 highlighted in red
|Maintained by MDSHA and Town of Federalsburg|
|Length:||3.13 mi (5.04 km)|
|Existed:||1964 – present|
|Chesapeake Country Scenic Byway|
|West end:||MD 313 / MD 318 in Federalsburg|
|East end:||MD 318 near Federalsburg|
Maryland Route 315 (MD 315) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. The state highway runs 3.13 miles (5.04 km) from MD 313 and MD 318 on the west side of Federalsburg east to MD 318 east of Federalsburg. MD 315, which is the old routing of MD 318 through downtown Federalsburg, is maintained by the town within the town limits and on either side of the town limits by the Maryland State Highway Administration. MD 315 follows what were sections of MD 319, MD 313, and MD 318, which were constructed between the late 1910s and mid-1920s. The highway became fully part of MD 318 in the mid-1950s. The highway was designated as MD 315 in the early 1960s after MD 318 was moved to the Federalsburg Bypass.
MD 315 begins at an intersection with MD 313 and MD 318 on the west side of Federalsburg. MD 313 heads north and south from the intersection as Federalsburg Highway. MD 318 heads west as Preston Road and south concurrent with MD 313. MD 315 heads east as Bloomingdale Road through a commercial and industrial area. At University Avenue, the state highway enters the town limits of Federalsburg and municipal maintenance begins. After passing Denton Road, the old alignment of MD 313, MD 315's name changes to Main Street and the highway curves south into the central business district. At Central Avenue, Main Street continues south while MD 315 turns east onto Central Avenue to cross Marshyhope Creek. The state highway enters a residential area and passes Reliance Avenue, the old alignment of MD 313 that heads south to the eastern MD 313-MD 318 intersection. MD 315 turns southeast onto Liberty Road while Central Avenue continues straight and leads to MD 306. After passing Bernard Avenue, the state highway leaves the town of Federalsburg and MDSHA maintenance resumes. MD 315 crosses Tanyard Branch shortly before the intersection with Liberty Church Road, where MD 315 turns south for a very short distance to reach its eastern terminus at MD 318 (Bridgeville Road).
MD 315 is the old alignment of MD 318 through Federalsburg. The portion of MD 318 west of Federalsburg was originally MD 319 and the section of the highway between Denton Road and Reliance Avenue was part of MD 313. The Bloomingdale Avenue section of MD 319 west of the town limits was constructed as a state-aid road around 1919. The Liberty Road portion of the highway east of the town limits was built between 1924 and 1926. MD 318 was extended west through Federalsburg and over the whole length of MD 319 in 1956. MD 315 was designated on the old alignment of MD 318 following the transfer of MD 318 to the Federalsburg Bypass in 1964.
The entire route is in Caroline County.
|Federalsburg||0.00||0.00||MD 313 (Federalsburg Highway) / MD 318 (Preston Road) – Easton, Eldorado, Denton|
|1.03||1.66||Main Street south||MD 315 turns east onto Central Avenue|
|1.34||2.16||Central Avenue east||MD 315 turns south onto Liberty Road|
|||3.10||4.99||Liberty Church Road north||MD 315 turns south at this intersection; one-way westbound MD 315A is old alignment and east leg of the intersection|
|||3.13||5.04||MD 318 (Bridgeville Road) – Bridgeville, Denton|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Highway Information Services Division (December 31, 2013). Highway Location Reference. Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- Caroline County (PDF)
- Google (2010-05-06). "Maryland Route 315" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2010-05-06.
- Maryland State Roads Commission (1939). General Highway Map: State of Maryland (Map). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission.
- Zouck, Frank H.; Uhl, G. Clinton; Mudd, John F. (January 1920). Annual Reports of the State Roads Commission of Maryland (1916–1919 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. p. 49. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- Mackall, John N.; Darnall, R. Bennett; Brown, W.W. (January 1927). Annual Reports of the State Roads Commission of Maryland (1924–1926 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. p. 71. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- Maryland Geological Survey (1927). Map of Maryland: Showing State Road System and State Aid Roads (Map). Baltimore: Maryland Geological Survey.
- Maryland State Roads Commission (1956). Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission.
- Maryland State Roads Commission (1964). Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission.
- Google (2010-05-06). "Maryland Route 315A" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2010-05-06.
Route map: Google