Maryland Route 317
Maryland Route 317 highlighted in red
|Maintained by MDSHA|
|Length:||4.78 mi (7.69 km)|
|Existed:||1927 – present|
|West end:||MD 313 in Oil City|
|East end:||DE 14 in Burrsville|
Maryland Route 317 (MD 317) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known as Burrsville Road, the state highway runs 4.78 miles (7.69 km) from MD 313 in Oil City east to the Delaware state line in Burrsville, where the highway continues east as Delaware Route 14 (DE 14). MD 317 was constructed in the mid-1920s and realigned through Burrsville around 1960.
MD 317 begins at an intersection with MD 313 (Greensboro Road) in Oil City. The state highway heads east through farmland. MD 317 crosses Webber Branch before the old alignment, Ruritan Road, splits to the northeast as the highway approaches Burrsville. The old alignment, now part of Knife Box Road, crosses MD 317 again shortly before the Delaware state line. The highway continues east as DE 14 (Vernon Road) toward Harrington.
MD 317 was paved in 1925 and 1926 along its whole length. The state highway originally performed an S-curve through Burrsville, following present day Ruritan Road and Knife Box Road, which was designated MD 457 north of MD 317 between 1951 and 1960. MD 317 was constructed on its present straight alignment through Burrsville around 1960.
The entire route is in Caroline County.
|Oil City||0.00||0.00||MD 313 (Greensboro Road) – Denton, Greensboro|
|Burrsville||4.78||7.69||DE 14 east (Vernon Road) – Harrington||Delaware state line|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Highway Information Services Division (December 31, 2013). Highway Location Reference. Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved 2010-09-03.
- Caroline County (PDF)
- Google (2010-05-13). "Maryland Route 317" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- Mackall, John N.; Darnall, R. Bennett; Brown, W.W. (January 1927). Annual Reports of the State Roads Commission of Maryland (1924–1926 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. pp. 35, 71. Retrieved 2010-09-03.
- Maryland Geological Survey (1927). Map of Maryland: Showing State Road System and State Aid Roads (Map). Baltimore: Maryland Geological Survey.
- Maryland State Roads Commission (1951). Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission.
- Maryland State Roads Commission (1960). Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission.