Maryland Route 454
Maryland Route 454 highlighted in red
|Maintained by MDSHA|
|Length:||2.21 mi (3.56 km)|
|Existed:||1927 – present|
|South end:||DE 8 in Marydel|
|MD 311 in Marydel|
|North end:||MD 302 in Templeville|
Maryland Route 454 (MD 454) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known for most of its length as Crown Stone Road, the state highway runs 2.21 miles (3.56 km) from the Delaware state line in Marydel, where the highway continues east as Delaware Route 8 (DE 8), north to MD 302 in Templeville. MD 454 was built in the late 1910s. The state highway originally ended in Marydel at MD 311, which crossed the state line. MD 454 replaced MD 311 along the stretch to the state line around 1946 and bypassed Marydel by 1956.
MD 454 begins at the Delaware state line in the town of Marydel, adjacent to a five-mile (8 km) Mason–Dixon marker that gives the highway its name. The highway continues east as DE 8 (Halltown Road) toward Dover. The state highway immediately encounters the eastern end of MD 821 (Main Street) and crosses an unused railroad grade owned by the Maryland Department of Transportation. MD 454 meets the northern terminus of MD 311 (Henderson Road) before leaving Marydel and collecting the other end of MD 821. The state highway turns north through farmland before entering the town of Templeville and terminating at MD 302 (Barclay Road), which forms the border between Caroline County and Queen Anne's County.
MD 454 was paved as a state-aid road from Marydel to Templeville between 1915 and 1921. The state highway originally had its southern terminus in Marydel at MD 311. It was MD 311 that crossed the state line until 1946. MD 454 was moved off of Main Street and onto a new alignment through Marydel by 1956.
The entire route is in Caroline County.
|Marydel||0.00||0.00||DE 8 east (Halltown Road) – Dover||Delaware state line|
|0.03||0.05||MD 821 west (Main Street)|
|0.11||0.18||MD 311 south (Henderson Road) – Henderson, Goldsboro, Denton|
|0.36||0.58||MD 821 east (Main Street)|
|Templeville||2.21||3.56||MD 302 (Barclay Road) to US 301 – Barclay, Bay Bridge, Smyrna|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Highway Information Services Division (December 31, 2013). Highway Location Reference. Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved 2010-09-04.
- Caroline County (PDF)
- "Mason–Dixon Crown Stone". Delaware Public Archives. 2009-12-30. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- Google (2010-05-16). "Maryland Route 454" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- Weller, O.E.; Parran, Thomas; Miller, W.B.; Perry, John M.; Ramsay, Andrew; Smith, J. Frank (May 1916). "Annual Reports of the State Roads Commission of Maryland" (1912–1915 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. p. 128. Retrieved 2010-09-04.
- Maryland Geological Survey (1921). Map of Maryland: Showing State Road System and State Aid Roads (Map). Baltimore: Maryland Geological Survey.
- Maryland State Roads Commission (1939). General Highway Map: State of Maryland (Map). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission.
- Maryland State Roads Commission (1946). Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map) (1946–47 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission.
- Bonnell, Robert O.; Bennett, Edgar T.; McMullen, John J. (November 2, 1956). "Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland" (1955–1956 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. p. 138. Retrieved 2010-09-04.
Route map: Bing