Maryland Route 47
Maryland Route 47 highlighted in red
|Maintained by MDSHA|
|Length:||1.67 mi (2.69 km)|
|Existed:||1927 – present|
|South end:||MD 36 in Barrelville|
|North end:||PA 160 near Barrelville|
Maryland Route 47 (MD 47) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known as Barrelville Road, the state highway runs 1.67 miles (2.69 km) from MD 36 in Barrelville north to the Pennsylvania state line, where the highway continues north as Pennsylvania Route 160 (PA 160). While it is a minor route today, MD 47 was once part of the main highway between Cumberland and Somerset, Pennsylvania. The state highway was constructed in its modern form in the early 1920s.
MD 47 begins at an intersection with MD 36 (Mount Savage Road) in Barrelville. The state highway heads north as a two-lane road through the valley of the North Branch of Jennings Run, which the highway crosses three times before reaching its northern terminus at the Pennsylvania state line. The highway continues north as PA 160 (Cumberland Highway), which passes through Wellersburg shortly after crossing the border.
MD 47 is part of what was once the most direct route between Cumberland and Somerset. A road has existed along the alignment of the present state highway since at least 1804. By 1832, there was an effort to organize a turnpike company to connect Cumberland with the Somerset and Cumberland Turnpike at the state line. The modern MD 47 was paved by 1921. At least two of the bridges over the North Branch of Jennings Run were built in 1923. In 2012, the route was realigned at a bridge over the North Branch of Jennings Run.
The entire route is in Allegany County.
|Barrelville||0.00||0.00||MD 36 (Mount Savage Road) – Mount Savage, Cumberland||Southern terminus|
|||1.67||2.69||PA 160 north (Cumberland Highway) – Wellersburg, Somerset||Northern terminus; Pennsylvania state line|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- MD 47A is the unsigned designation for Sturtz Lane, which runs 0.04 miles (0.064 km) from MD 47 north to the road end, at which point Sturtz Lane continues as a private road. The route was created in 2012 following a realignment of MD 47.
- Highway Information Services Division (December 31, 2013). Highway Location Reference. Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- Allegany County (PDF)
- Google (2010-03-05). "Maryland Route 47" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- "Turnpike and Plank Road, Wellersburg, PA". Korns Family Genealogy, Somerset County, PA. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- Maryland Geological Survey (1921). Map of Maryland: Showing State Road System and State Aid Roads (Map). Baltimore: Maryland Geological Survey.
- "NBI Structure Number: 100000010043010". National Bridge Inventory. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "NBI Structure Number: 100000010070010". National Bridge Inventory. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- Highway Information Services Division (December 31, 2012). Highway Location Reference. Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved 2013-12-23.
- Allegany County (PDF)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maryland Route 47.|