Maryse Joissains-Masini at the 2013 Tour de France
|Mayor of Aix-en-Provence|
|Assumed office |
25 March 2001
|Preceded by||Raymond-Max Aubert|
|Member of the National Assembly|
for Bouche-du-Rhône's 14th Constituency
19 June 2002 – 20 June 2012
|Preceded by||Jean-Bernard Raimond|
|Succeeded by||Jean-David Ciot|
15 August 1942
Toulon, Var, France
|Political party||The Republicans|
|Spouse(s)||Alain Joissains (divorced)|
|Education||University of the South, Toulon-Var|
Maryse Joissains-Masini (born 15 August 1942), also known as Maryse Charton, is the mayor of Aix-en-Provence. She was also a member of the National Assembly of France. in which she represented the Bouches-du-Rhône department, and is a member of The Republicans party.
Maryse Charton was born 15 August 1942 in Toulon, France. Her parents were both Communists, and her father was Maurice Thorez's bodyguard. She worked for the Social Security in France and volunteered as a young communist. She then received a BA degree from the University of the South, Toulon-Var followed by a master's degree and a PhD from Aix-Marseille University.
She subsequently taught criminology and private law at Aix-Marseille University. In 1968 she married Alain Joissains. In 1970 she started her career as a lawyer. She worked in the cases of the Infected blood scandal and the use of asbestos. It was also then that she became a follower of Jean-Jacques Servan-Schreiber, and joined the Radical Party.
From 1983 to 1989, she served as a member of the regional council of Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur. She has been the Mayor of Aix-en-Provence since 2001. She signed a law criminalizing drunkenness in public, a move aimed at the area's homeless people. In 2009, her re-election was invalidated by a former councilor, Stéphane Salord, under the assumption that allegations spread about her opponent François-Xavier de Peretti were too personal and violent. Nevertheless, she was re–elected. In June 2011, she voted against same-sex marriage. She has been accused of not attending the sessions in the National Assembly of France. However, she responded by saying she was in attendance once a month. She is among the French politicians who hold the most elected positions at different levels of government. She is a recipient of the Legion of Honour.
Shortly after François Hollande was elected President in 2012, she suggested that he might be "illegitimate", arguing that the entire French media and labor unions supported him and unfairly criticized Nicolas Sarkozy's tenure, and she asked the Constitutional Council of France to annul the election results; however, she was rebuffed.
- EIP, Annuaire des Mairies des Bouches du Rhône (13), Les Editions Céline, p. 17 
- Ney Bensadon, La condition féminine à l'aube du IIIe millénaire, Séguier, 2001, p. 142 
- webpage at the National Assembly
- Official website biography Archived 2011-07-14 at the Wayback Machine
- Christine Rigollet, 'Aix-en-provence : La surprise Joissains', in Le Point, 23 March 2001 
- Stéphane Rullac, Le péril SDF: assister et punir, L'Harmattan, p. 189 
- 'Il faudra revoter à Aix', in Metro France, 8 June 2009 
- 'Maryse Joissains persiste et signe', in La Marseillaise, 9 June 2009 "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-14. Retrieved 2011-07-03.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Jean-Claude Bouildé, 'A Aix, le «tout sauf Joissains» n'a pas suffi pour battre l'UMP', in Marianne, 19 July 2009 "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-03. Retrieved 2011-07-03.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Rédaction, 'Le mariage des homos rejeté: qu'a voté votre député?', in Têtu, 14 June 2011 "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-03. Retrieved 2011-07-03.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- 'Ils brillent par leur absence', in Le Parisien, 29 April 2009 
- 'Les fantômes du Palais-Bourbon', in L'Express, 29 April 2009 
- '« Je viens une fois par mois », in Le Parisien, 29 April 2009 
- 'Les députés cumulards passés au crible', in L'Express, 7 October 2009
- 'Des députés très cumulards', in Le Journal du Dimanche, 7 October 2009 
- Pour la maire UMP d'Aix-en-Provence, M. Hollande n'est pas "légitime", Le Monde, 8 May 2012
- Un élu conteste la "légitimité" d'Hollande, Le Figaro, 9 May 2012
- La maire UMP d'Aix demande au Conseil constitutionnel d'annuler la présidentielle, Le Parisien, 9 May 2012
| Mayor of Aix-en-Provence
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maryse Joissains-Masini.|