February 19, 1973|
Kawanishi, Hyōgo, Japan
(San Clemente, California)
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Men’s American football|
|1999 Italy||Team Competition|
Masafumi Kawaguchi (born February 19, 1973) is a former Japanese player of American football. He was born in Kawanishi, Hyogo and introduced to football during his senior year at San Clemente High School in California, when he moved there at the age of 17. He enrolled at Ritsumeikan University in Kyoto as an international relations major. He played for seven years with the Amsterdam Admirals of NFL Europe from 1997 to 2004. He was named to the All-NFL Europe Team in 1999.
In 1998, he was among the first four Japanese players to participate in an NFL training camp when he participated in the Green Bay Packers camp. In 2003, he was invited to the San Francisco 49ers training camp in 2003, and participated in the American Bowl exhibition game in the Osaka game between the 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs. He signed with the 49ers in 2003 but was released before the start of the season.
- Thomsen, Ian (February 12, 1997). "Japanese Linebacker Hopes to Make a Hit". iht.com. Archived from the original on October 26, 2005. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- "Masa makes welcome return". nfleurope.com. April 3, 2003. Archived from the original on March 12, 2007. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- "FIRST-EVER JAPANESE PLAYERS TO ATTEND NFL TRAINING CAMPS; FOUR JOIN PACKERS & CHIEFS". packers.com. July 21, 1998. Archived from the original on August 10, 2007. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- "Ready To Rumble". metropolis.co.jp. Archived from the original on August 21, 2009. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- "San Francisco 49ers Transactions". sports-att.espn.go.com. Archived from the original on March 12, 2007. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- "Masafumi Kawaguchi". kffl.com. Archived from the original on December 6, 2014. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- "Japanese stars join NFL teams". nfleurope.com. Archived from the original on March 11, 2007. Retrieved December 5, 2014.