This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
December 12, 1960|
Toyama, Toyama, Japan
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
Masahiko Nishimura (西村 まさ彦 Nishimura Masahiko, born December 12, 1960) is a Japanese theatre and film actor. He is best known for his comedic portrayals.
Nishimura was born on December 12, 1960 in Toyama, Toyama, Japan. While he attended Toyo University to study photography he met Kōki Mitani, a script writer for radio and playwright who aspired to be an actor and who turned his attention to the theatre.
In 1983, Nishimura, Mitani and others including the actors Zen Kajiwara and Kazuyuki Aijima formed the Tokyo Sunshine Boys, a comedy troupe that grew in popularity over the following ten years. They produced the popular play 12 Gentle Japanese, a parody of Reginald Rose's 12 Angry Men. When 12 Gentle Japanese was adapted to film, Nishimura did not form part of the cast.
In the 1990s the success of the Tokyo Sunshine Boys brought Nishimura parts in television dramas, notably a part in Furikaereba Yatsuga Iru and as the flamboyant Shintaro Imaizumi in Kōki Mitani's Furuhata Ninzaburo.
With the release of the Kōki Mitani film adaptation of the play Radio no Jikan in 1997, Nishimura won acclaim for his portrayal of a radio producer—a role for which he won the Best Supporting Actor award from the Japanese Academy Awards as well as a Blue Ribbon Award.
The Tokyo Sunshine Boys disbanded in 1998, but most of its actors, including Nishimura, continued to work in television.
- Best Supporting Actor (Japanese Academy Awards) for Kōki Mitani Radio no Jikan
- Best Supporting Actor (Japanese Academy Award) for Juzo Itami Marutai no Onna
- Popularity Award "Most Popular Performer" for 1997
- Blue Ribbon Awards "Best Supporting Actor"
- Best Supporting Actor at the 22nd Hochi Film Award for Marutai no onna and Welcome Back, Mr. McDonald
- Kinema Junpo Award
- Tomoko no baai (1996)
- Shichi-gatsu nano ka, Hare (1996)
- Radio no Jikan: Welcome Back Mr. McDonald (1997)
- Princess Mononoke (1997)
- Marutai no onna (1997)
- Kuroi ie (1999)
- Godzilla 2000 (1999)
- O-juken (1999)
- GTO (1999)
- Kawa no Nagare no Yō ni (2000)
- Denen no yuutsu (2001)
- Ghiblies: Episode 2 (2002)
- Ganryujima (2003) - Sasaki Kojirō
- Nin Nin the Movie (2004)
- Furyo shonen no yume (2005)
- Warai no Daigaku (2006)
- Tokyo Family (2013) - Kōichi Hirayama
- Samurai Hustle (2014) - Kanetsugu Sōma
- The Magnificent Nine (2016)
- What a Wonderful Family! (2016)
- What a Wonderful Family! 2 (2017)
- What a Wonderful Family! 3 (2018)
- Furikaereba Yatsu ga Iru(1993)
- Furuhata Ninzaburo (1994) - Shintaro Imaizumi
- Ousama no restoran (1995)
- Hideyoshi (1996) - Tokugawa Ieyasu
- Otona no otoko (1997)
- Yamato Nadeshiko (2000)
- Yome wa mitsuboshi (2001)
- Koi no chikara (2002)
- Itsumo futari de (2003)
- Kanojo ga shinjatta (2004)
- Wonderful Life (2004)
- Nodame Cantabile (2006)
- Sanada Maru (2016) - Muroga Masatake
- Kyoaku wa Nemurasenai (2016) - Nobutsuna Nakae