|Masaka Regional Referral Hospital|
|Uganda Ministry of Health|
|Hospital type||General and Teaching|
730 (2016) - Expected
|Other links||Hospitals in Uganda
Medical education in Uganda
Masaka Regional Referral Hospital, commonly known as Masaka Hospital is a hospital in the city of Masaka, in south-central Uganda. It is the referral hospital for the districts of Kalangala District, Lyantonde, Masaka and Sembabule, Kalungu, Lwengo, Bukomansimbi and Rakai.
Masaka Hospital is located in the central business district of the town of Masaka, approximately 132 kilometres (82 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The coordinates of Masaka Hospital are:0°19'46.0"S, 31°44'04.0"E (Latitude:-0.329444; Longitude:31.734444).
Masaka Hospital is a public hospital, funded by the Uganda Ministry of Health and general care in the hospital is free. It is one of the 13 Regional Referral Hospitals in Uganda. The hospital is designated as one of the 15 Internship Hospitals in Uganda where graduates of Ugandan medical schools can serve one year of internship under the supervision of qualified specialists and consultants. The official bed capacity of Masaka Hospital is quoted as 330, but often twice that number or more is accommodated. The hospital averages about 450 daily admissions.
In June 2014, works began at the hospital for the construction of a hospital tower to house maternity and pediatric units with a total bed capacity of 400 inpatients. The work was contracted to Tirupati Development Uganda Limited, and is expected to last about 24 months. Construction of the five story hospital extension is fully funded by the Government of Uganda.
- Bindhe, Edward (1 June 2012). "Shortage of Medical Workers Hits Masaka Hospital". Uganda Radio Network (URN). Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "Travel Distance Between Kampala And Masaka With Interactive Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Masaka Regional Referral Hospital At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- Uganda Has Thirteen Regional Referral Hospitals
- Kitatta Kaaya, Sadab (11 November 2012). "Hospital, 85, Has No General Surgeon". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- Wandera, Stephen (12 June 2014). "Masaka Hospital Gets A 400 Bed-Capacity Ward". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 26 October 2014.