Mascots (2016 film)
|Directed by||Christopher Guest|
|Produced by||Karen Murphy|
Ed Begley Jr.
John Michael Higgins
|Music by||Jeffery C.J. Vanston|
|Edited by||Andrew Dickler|
Mascots is a 2016 mockumentary from Christopher Guest that premiered on Netflix on October 13, 2016, featuring Jane Lynch, Parker Posey, Fred Willard, Ed Begley Jr., Christopher Moynihan, Don Lake, Zach Woods, Chris O'Dowd, Bob Balaban, and Jennifer Coolidge.
Guest has a small role as "Corky St. Clair", a role he first played in Waiting For Guffman. Posey, Willard, Lake, and Balaban also appeared in Guffman, but play different roles in this film.
Several sports mascots compete for the World Mascot Association championship's Gold Fluffy Award.
- Jane Lynch as Gabby Monkhouse
- Parker Posey as Cindi Babineaux
- Christopher Guest as Corky St. Clair
- Fred Willard as Greg Gammons, Jr.
- Ed Begley Jr. as A.J. Blumquist
- Christopher Moynihan as Phil Mayhew
- Don Lake as Buddy Campbell
- Brad Williams as Ron 'The Worm' Trippman
- Zach Woods as Mike Murray
- Chris O'Dowd as Tommy 'Zook' Zucarello
- Susan Yeagley as Laci Babineaux
- Tom Bennett as Owen Golly, Jr.
- Kerry Godliman as Sarah Golly
- Bob Balaban as Sol Lumpkin
- Jennifer Coolidge as Jolene Lumpkin
- Michael Hitchcock as Langston Aubrey
- Maria Blasucci as Jessica Mundt
- John Michael Higgins as Upton French
- Jim Piddock as Owen Golly Sr.
- Kathreen Khavari as Bosphorus Cooper
- Oscar Nunez as Cesar Hidalgo
- Sarah Baker as Mindy Murray
- Harry Shearer as Competition Announcer
Netflix announced on August 11, 2015 that it would be released on the streaming service in 2016. It was reported on August 26, 2015 that previous Guest collaborators Jane Lynch, Parker Posey, John Michael Higgins, Jennifer Coolidge, Bob Balaban, and Chris O'Dowd were in negotiations to join the film. It screened in the Special Presentations section at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival.
Mascots received mixed reviews from critics. The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes gave the film an approval rating of 54%, based on 39 reviews, with an average rating of 5.7/10. On Metacritic, the film has a score of 57 out of 100, based on 16 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Mascots - Date Announcement - Netflix". YouTube. August 2, 2016. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- Calvario, Liz (August 2, 2016). "'Mascots' Teaser: First Look at Christopher Guest's New Netflix Comedy Film". Indiewire. Retrieved August 7, 2016.
- McNary, Dave. "Netflix Acquires Christopher Guest's 'Mascots' Mockumentary". Variety. Retrieved 5 September 2015.
- Kit, Borys. "Christopher Guest Gets (Most of) the Gang Back Together for Netflix's 'Mascots' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 18, 2015.
- "Toronto To Open With 'The Magnificent Seven'; 'La La Land', 'Deepwater Horizon' Among Galas & Presentations". Deadline. July 26, 2016. Retrieved July 26, 2016.
- "Mascots (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- "Mascots". Metacritic. Retrieved November 11, 2016.