|Birth name||Micah Davis|
|Born||June 8, 1993|
|Origin||Newport News, Virginia|
Micah Davis (born June 8, 1993), known professionally as Masego, is an American musician and singer. He incorporates the saxophone into much of his music. Masego released two EP's in 2016, The Pink Polo EP with Medasin, and Loose Thoughts. He gained widespread attention with his collaborative record with FKJ called "Tadow" in 2017. In 2018, he released his debut album Lady Lady.
Micah Davis was born to a Jamaican father and an African-American mother. His father was in the U.S Air Force and his mother was an entrepreneur. Both his mother and father were also pastors and he was raised in a non-denominational Christian home. The military travels eventually led his family to Virginia. At a young age, the drums became the first instrument he learned how to play without formal lessons. Davis has spoken about learning piano, sax and various drum machines. In high school, Davis adopted the name Masego after learning about his family's roots in South Africa. Davis attended Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia before leaving to focus solely on his musical career.
Musical style and influences
Drawing from his upbringing of both his parents being pastors, Davis stated that church allowed him a place to learn music from talented musicians. Davis also cited John P. Kee , Andre 3000 and Cab Calloway as influences. Davis grew up in a room with over 200 vinyl records on the walls while simultaneously having friends giving him hard hitting drums and trap music influences.
He refers to his own musical style as "TrapHouseJazz".
|The Pink Polo EP
|"Late Night"||2015||GoldLink||And After That, We Didn't Talk|
|"Ooh Nah Nah"||2017||SiR||HER TOO|
|"Touch the Floor"||2018||VanJess||Silk Canvas|
|"Good Girl"||Tiffany Gouché||N/A|
|"One Life"||2019||The Game, J. Stone||Born 2 Rap|
|"Sleigh"||Smino, Monte Booker||High 4 Da Highladays|
|"Hate The Club"||2020||Kehlani||It Was Good Until It Wasn't|
|"Slow Down"||Ro James||Mantic|
Masego & Medasin - The Pink Polo EP
- 08. "Love Be Like (Medasin Remix)"
Masego - Loose Thoughts
- All tracks
- 03. "Touch the Floor"
Masego - Lady Lady
- All tracks
- 04. "Up Late"
- "Masego on How Women Inspired His Debut Album 'Lady Lady' & His Dream Collaborations". Billboard.
- "Masego Is Redefining The Ladies' Man". LNWY. Retrieved 10 September 2019.
- "Meet Masego, the next-level singer and saxophonist making jazz music cool again". GQ. Retrieved 10 September 2019.
- Ramirez, Erika. "Masego & Medasin Premiere Trap-Meets-Jazz 'Pink Polo' EP: Exclusive". Billboard.
- "Premiere: Masego's 'Loose Thoughts' Make For One Heck Of A Summer Project". Vibe.
- Bedolla, Daise. "Masego, the Ultra-Smooth "TrapHouseJazz" Singer, Is Ready for His Breakout". Vogue.
- Garrett, Ural. "Masego Calls His Sound "Trap House Jazz." We Call It the Future of Hip-Hop". Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "Masego's many layers". The FADER.
- Younger, Briana. "Is It Rap? Is It Jazz? No, It's TrapHouseJazz, Masego Style". Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "Lady Lady by Masego" – via music.apple.com.
- "The Pink Polo EP by Masego & Medasin" – via music.apple.com.
- "Loose Thoughts by Masego" – via music.apple.com.
- "Silk Canvass by Vanjess". iTunes.
- "Born 2 Rap". Apple Music. Retrieved 1 December 2019.
- Krystal Rodriguez (December 9, 2019). "Pharrell, Tinashe and more feature on Kaytranada's new album, BUBBA". Fact. Retrieved December 10, 2019.
- "High 4 Da Highladays - Single". Apple Music.
- "It Was Good Until It Wasn't". Apple Music. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "Mantic". Apple Music. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "Ari Lennox Announces "Shea Butter Baby" Album & Releases "Up Late" Single". HipHopDX. Retrieved 30 April 2019.