Mashhad International Airport
Mashhad International Airport
فرودگاه بین المللی شهید هاشمی نژاد مشهد
|Owner||Government of Iran|
|Operator||Iran Airports Company|
Iranian Air Force
|Serves||Mashhad, Razavi Khorasan|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||3,263 ft / 995 m|
Mashhad International Airport (IATA: MHD, ICAO: OIMM) (Persian: فرودگاه شهید هاشمی نژاد مشهد) is an international airport located in Mashhad, Razavi Khorasan, Iran. It is also known as Shahid Hasheminejad International Airport.
Mashhad international airport is the Iran's second busiest airport behind Tehran-Mehrabad. In 2016 Mashhad Airport handled a record more than 10 million passengers up 17% from 2015 with 86,681 tons of cargo.
It is connected to 57 destinations and has frequent flights to 30 cities within Iran and 27 destinations in the Central Asia, the Middle East, East Asia and Europe.
The airport has been under a USD45.7 ml vast expansion project which has been finished by opening a new Haj Terminal with 10,000 m area on 24 May 2010 and followed by opening a new international terminal with 30000 m2 area with a new parking building, a new custom storage and cargo terminal, new safety and fire fighting buildings and upgrades to taxiways and equipment. Another USD26.5 ml development project for construction of new hangar for aircraft repair facilities and expansion of the west side of the domestic terminal is underway using a BOT contract with the private sector.
Airlines and destinations
^a According to Iranian laws direct passenger flights to Antalya are banned, So AtlasGlobal and SunExpress seasonal charter flights from Mashhad to Antalya have a stopover in Adana. However, these airlines do not carry local traffic between Mashhad and Adana. The return flights also has the same conditions. This law applies only to passenger flights and does not include VIP, Cargo or ferry flights.
Accidents and incidents
- On 1 September 2006, an Iran Air Tours Tupolev Tu-154 skidded off the runway as it was landing at Mashhad International Airport and caught fire. A tire had blown on the aircraft during landing. The aircraft was carrying 147 passengers, 29 of them died in the accident. The Tu-154 was flying from Bandar Abbas to Mashhad.
- On 24 July 2009, Aria Air Flight 1525, an Ilyushin Il-62, route THR-MHD (Teheran Mehrabad, Iran to Mashad, Iran) crashed with 153 passengers and caught fire; 3 passengers and 13 crew died.
- On 24 January 2010, Taban Air Flight 6437, a Tupolev Tu-154M, crashed whilst making an emergency landing at Mashhad International Airport due to a medical emergency; all 157 and 13 crew survived the accident with 42 receiving minor injuries. It is reported that the aircraft was on an ILS landing in fog when the tail struck the ground causing the plane to veer off the runway, followed by a nose-gear collapse, then the right wing struck the ground causing the aircraft to burst into flames.
- On 28 January 2016, Zagros Airlines Flight 4010 was landing at Mashhad International Airport's Runway 31R when the McDonnell Douglas MD-83, registration EP-ZAB, skidded off the runway. The aircraft was badly damaged and 7 people suffered minor injuries
- On May 24, 2018, the Tapandegan (Palpitaters in Persian) an Iranian hacker group hacked the arrival and departure monitors at Mashhad International Airport posting anti-government messages and images on the monitors, forcing the airports’ authorities to turn off manually those monitors one-by-one. 
- "Traffic Figures". Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Page 1 Accident Final Report State File Number: A13880431UPI6208." Iran Civil Aviation Organization. p. 2 (Foreword). Retrieved on November 14, 2017.
- Iranian Airports Holding Company (Feb 2017). International Traffic Report (PDF) (Report). گروه آمار و اطلاعات هوانوردی و فرودگاهی. Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- Photos: Airplane Overhaul Facility in Mashhad, Eastern Iran Archived 15 April 2015 at the Wayback Machine.. Payvand.com.
- Mashhad Airport. "NEWS RELEASE". mashhad.airport.ir (in Persian).
- ASN Aircraft accident Ilyushin 62M UP-I6208 Mashhad-Shahid Hashemi Nejad Airport (MHD) Archived 13 August 2016 at the Wayback Machine.. Aviation-safety.net (24 July 2009).
- Taban Air Flight 6437. Avherald.com.
- Iranian plane catches fire on landing. BBC News (24 January 2010).
- Plane catches fire trying to land in Iran Archived 4 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine.. CNN.
- "Accident: Zagros MD83 at Mashad on Jan 28th 2016, runway excursion on landing". Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- Ranter, Harro. "ASN Aircraft accident McDonnell Douglas MD-83 EP-ZAB Mashhad Airport (MHD)". Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Hackers Post Protest Messages On Mashad Airport Displays". en.radiofarda.com. 25 May 2018. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mashhad International Airport.|