Mashhad International Airport
|Mashhad International Airport
Shahid Hashemi Nejad Airport
فرودگاه بینالمللی شهید هاشمینژاد مشهد
|IATA: MHD – ICAO: OIMM|
|Owner||Iranian Airports Holding Company|
|Operator||Iran Civil Aviation Organization/Iran Air Force|
|Elevation AMSL||3,263 ft / 995 m|
The airport is the country's second busiest only to Tehran Mehrabad Airport and above the famous Tehran's Imam Khomeini International Airport. In 2015 the airport handled 8,545,598 passengers along with 81,285 tons of cargo.
It is connected to 57 destinations and has frequent flights to 30 cities within Iran and 27 destinations in the Central Asia, the Middle East, East Asia and Europe.
The airport has been under a USD45.7 ml vast expansion project which has been finished by opening a new Haj Terminal with 10,000 m area on 24 May 2010 and followed by opening a new international terminal with 30000 m2 area with a new parking building, a new custom storage and cargo terminal, new safety and fire fighting buildings and upgrades to taxiways and equipment. Another USD26.5 ml development project for construction of new hangar for aircraft repair facilities and expansion of the west side of the domestic terminal is underway using a BOT contract with the private sector.
Airlines and destinations
Accidents and incidents
- On 1 September 2006, an Iran Air Tours Tupolev Tu-154 skidded off the runway as it was landing at Mashhad International Airport and caught fire. A tire had blown on the aircraft during landing. The aircraft was carrying 147 passengers, 29 of them died in the accident. The Tu-154 was flying from Bandar Abbas to Mashhad.
- On 24 July 2009, Aria Air Flight 1525, an Ilyushin Il-62, route THR-MHD (Teheran Mehrabad, Iran to Mashad, Iran) crashed with 153 passengers and caught fire; 3 passengers and 13 crew died.
- On 24 January 2010, Taban Air Flight 6437, a Tupolev Tu-154M, crashed whilst making an emergency landing at Mashhad International Airport due to a medical emergency; all 157 and 13 crew survived the accident with 42 receiving minor injuries. It is reported that the aircraft was on an ILS landing in fog when the tail struck the ground causing the plane to veer off the runway, followed by a nose-gear collapse, then the right wing struck the ground causing the aircraft to burst into flames.
- On 28 January 2016, Zagros Airlines Flight 4010 was landing at Mashhad International Airport's Runway 31R when the McDonnell Douglas MD-83, registration EP-ZAB, skidded off the runway. The aircraft was badly damaged and 7 people suffered minor injuries
- Iranian Airports Holding Company (Feb 2016). International Traffic Report (PDF) (Report). گروه آمار و اطلاعات هوانوردی و فرودگاهی. Retrieved February 18, 2016.
- Photos: Airplane Overhaul Facility in Mashhad, Eastern Iran. Payvand.com.
- "Emirates to launch flights to Mashhad in Iran - The National". Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "From Najaf to Mashad". Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "IranAir Official Site-IranAir_Portal-Iran Air interprovincial flight from Mashhad to Zahedan". Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "IranAir operates Mashad-Karachi direct flight". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "IranAir Official Site-IranAir_Portal-Masshad-Kerachi flights by Iran Air". Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "برقراری پرواز اراک به مشهد و عسلویه". arak.airport.ir (in Persian).[dead link]
- Behnegarsoft.com (11 July 2015). "تین نیوز - خط پروازی نوشهر – شیراز و بالعکس از فرودگاه نوشهر برقرار شد". Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- Iran Aseman Airlines, schedule may 2014, http://iaa.ir/en/
-  Archived 13 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Photo". Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "بندر عباس - صفحه نخست". Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- 2016, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Shaheen Air to Start Karachi – Mashad Route from Oct 2015". Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Aviation Iran - World's First Iranian Aviation News Website in English". Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- ASN Aircraft accident Ilyushin 62M UP-I6208 Mashhad-Shahid Hashemi Nejad Airport (MHD). Aviation-safety.net (24 July 2009).
- Taban Air Flight 6437. Avherald.com.
- Iranian plane catches fire on landing. BBC News (24 January 2010).
- Plane catches fire trying to land in Iran. CNN.
- "Accident: Zagros MD83 at Mashad on Jan 28th 2016, runway excursion on landing". Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- Ranter, Harro. "ASN Aircraft accident McDonnell Douglas MD-83 EP-ZAB Mashhad Airport (MHD)". Retrieved 25 June 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mashhad International Airport.|