Mashhad Urban Railway
|Native name||قطار شهری مشهد|
|Locale||Mashhad, Razavi Khorasan, Iran|
|Transit type||Rapid transit|
|Number of lines||1
(1 under construction,
2 others planned)
|Number of stations||22|
|Daily ridership||1 million (January 2015)|
|Website||Mashhad Urban Railway Corp
Mashhad Urban and SubUrban Railway Operation Co
|Began operation||12 March 2011|
|Operator(s)||Mashhad Urban Railways Org.|
|System length||19 km (11.8 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The Mashhad Urban Railway (Persian: قطار شهری مشهد, the literal translation of the name from Persian, but the same one the operating company uses) is a rapid transit urban rail line in Mashhad, Iran. It is the second rapid transit system in Iran. The project has been known by a number of terms, including "light rail", "light metro", "urban rail", and "metro", though the system's full grade-separation from traffic and four minute headway as of September 2013[update] fully qualify it as a rapid transit or "metro" system. The Mashhad Urban Railway operates its single line from 6:30 to 21:30 daily. A second line is currently under construction.
Initially, a 19 kilometres (12 mi), 22 station Line 1 was built – it opened for service on 24 April 2011. Line 1 runs between Nakhrisi in the east and Vakilabad in the southwest, with travel time of 30 min. Approximately half the route are in tunnels and underground stations, other part is on ground.
A further Line 2 will be a conventional heavy metro, running north-south for 14 km between Koohsangi and Tabarsi with 12 stations and is currently under construction by two tunnel boring machines.
- "جابهجایی حدود 51 میلیون مسافر توسط خط یک قطار شهری مشهد" [Handling about 51 million passengers a metro rail line Mashhad] (in Persian). Mashhad Urban & SubUrban Railway Operation Company. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- "Toos Gostar". Imam Reza (A.S.) Network. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "Mashhad metro starts running". Railway Gazette. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- "IRAN: MASHHAD METRO PROJECT MOVES AHEAD.". Goliath Business News. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "Mashhad metro starts running". Railway Gazette. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- "UrbanRail.Net > Asia > Iran > Mashhad Metro". UrbanRail.net. 2010-11-04. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "Mashad Light Rail". Subways.net. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "Railway Gazette: First LRVs shipped to Mashhad". Railway Gazette. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "China's first official shipment export light rail vehicles". China Daily. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
Media related to Mashhad Metro at Wikimedia Commons