Market Street Masindi on a Sunday morning
|Region||Western Region of Uganda|
|Elevation||3,740 ft (1,140 m)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
Masindi is approximately 220 kilometres (140 mi) northwest of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city, on an all-weather tarmac highway. The coordinates of Masindi are 1°41'01.0"N, 31°43'20.0"E (Latitude:1.683611; Longitude:31.722222).
According to the 2002 national census, the population of Masindi was about 28,300. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population at 43,000. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population at 45,400. The national population census conducted in August 2014 put the population at 94,622.
As capital of Bunyoro, Masindi was visited by Samuel and Florence Baker, British explorers and anti-slavery campaigners, from 25 April 1872 to 14 June 1873. The Baker expedition was forced to withdraw because of the hostility of the Omukama Kabaléga, the King of Bunyoro at the time. The White Fathers founded here a mission in the 1910s.
Points of interest
These additional points of interest are within the town limits or close to the edges of town:
- offices of Masindi Town Council
- Masindi Hospital, a 200-bed public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Masindi Hotel, one of the oldest hotels in the country, built in 1923.
- a branch of the National Social Security Fund
- main campus of the Kigumba Petroleum Institute, 44 kilometres (27 mi) northeast of Masindi
- Kinyara Sugar Works, one of the three major manufacturers of refined sugar in Uganda, located 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) west of Masindi.
- Masindi Airport, a public airport, administered by the Civil Aviation Authority of Uganda
- UBOS (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Masindi With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Google (2 July 2015). "Location of Masindi at Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- UBOS. "Estimated Population of Masindi In 2002, 2010 & 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- To The Heart Of The Nile: Lady Florence Baker and the Exploration of Central Africa, by Pat Shipman
- Airports in Uganda
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Masindi.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Masindi.|