Mass Appeal (media)
|Limited liability company|
|Subsidiaries||Mass Appeal magazine|
Mass Appeal Records
Mass Appeal is an American media and content company based in New York City. The company was founded in 1996 as a graffiti fanzine and since has grown to encompass a magazine, website, film, television, music label and creative agency.
Mass Appeal published the first issue of Mass Appeal magazine in 1996. Initially, it covered a wide variety of pop culture topics such as graffiti culture, hip hop music, video games, cars and movies. It often provided coverage of young artists and performers that contributed to, and shaped, contemporary hip-hop culture. The magazine included columnists such as R.A. the Rugged Man, Matt Goias, Mister Cartoon, Estevan Oriol and Reas.
Mass Appeal launched a spin-off called Missbehave in 2006 and suspended publication in 2008. In 2013 Mass Appeal relaunched and resumed print with Earl Sweatshirt and Blake Anderson on the cover of Issue 52.
On April 10, 2013, Mass Appeal was revived when a group of investors, including American rapper Nas, decided to relaunch and expand the Mass Appeal brand. The deal included creative firm Decon and White Owl Capital Partners, an early stage investment firm with business interests in technology, media and energy located in North America, Europe and China.
In June 2018, Mass Appeal signed a music distribution deal with Universal Music Group, which includes the rights to Nas's 11th studio album, as well as future releases by DJ Shadow, J Dilla and Run the Jewels.
Mass Appeal Records is an American independent record label founded in 2014 by Mass Appeal. It is an urban alternative focused label with a roster of almost a dozen artists. The first project released on the label was Run The Jewels 2. The album received global critical acclaim and earned #1 spot at Pitchfork. The label has since gone on to release music from artists including Nas, Run the Jewels, Fashawn, Bishop Nehru, Boldy James, J Dilla, Dave East, Mannie Fresh, Cuz Lightyear and DJ Shadow. In May 2017, Mass Appeal announced a joint venture publishing company with Pulse Music Group. In June 2018, a new partnership with Universal Music Group was announced with the companies entering into a multi-year global agreement. In June 15, 2018, Nas released his twelfth studio album Nasir, through Mass Appeal Records and Def Jam Recordings. The album features an appearance from Kanye West, as well as Puff Daddy, 070 Shake, Tony Williams, and The-Dream. Forthcoming releases include the Mass Appeal compilation, as well as new projects from developing artists such as Cuz Lightyear, Stro, Ezri, Dave East, The 1865 and more.
Film & TV
In 2013, Mass Appeal entered in a production partnership with CNN Films to produce a documentary, entitled Fresh Dressed, about hip-hop and fashion. The documentary was accepted to the prestigious Sundance Film Festival where it was sold to Samuel Goldwyn Films and StyleHaul.
TBS, a division of Turner, has collaborated with Mass Appeal and greenlit Storyville, a new digital animated series. The top-rated network is also in development on Think B.I.G., a scripted series based loosely on lyrics by the late Notorious B.I.G. The two projects are the first to emerge from a new strategic content partnership between TBS and Mass Appeal.
In 2017, Mass Appeal released Burn Motherfucker, Burn! on Showtime, a 2-hour documentary film exploring the lives of the people at the flashpoint of the LA riots, 25 years after the uprising made national headlines and highlighted the racial divide in America.
Word Is Bond, directed by Sacha Jenkins, was released in 2018 and explored the art of lyricism. What was born on the streets of the South Bronx has now taken root globally and the young poets of New York have helped to spawn regional dialects everywhere. Featuring excursions with artists like Nas, Tech9, J Cole, Rapsody and Anderson. Paak, the film explores the different dimensions that hip hop poetics occupy.
In 2018, Rapture was released on Netflix. This eight part docu-series featuring artists such as Nas, 2 Chainz, Dave East, T.I., G-Eazy, Rapsody, Logic, A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie and Just Blaze.
Mass Appeal digital has produced digital video series including WATCHxWITNESS, its premiere photographic documentary series; Rhythm Roulette, a producer-driven series in which artists visit a music store, select three records at random, then create an instrumental on the spot, sampling from the three random records they chose. Since 2013, Rhythm Roulette has attracted talent such as 9th Wonder, Mannie Fresh, Just Blaze and many more. On The Grind is a series which examines the intersection of skate and creativity. Time Pieces is a series of short films that has featured Pharrell Williams, Jay Electronica, and Too Short. Off Tha' Wall is its comedic interview series. Open Space is an interview series that highlights creative people of all types in a context where they are free to speak their minds―the series has featured the likes Prodigy and Fat Joe as well as early interviews with upcoming acts such as Trippie Redd, Tekashi 6ix9ine, and Ski Mask the Slump God. The Mass Appeal Collection is a series of short documentaries focussing on up and coming artists and established stars. The Mass Appeal Collection has highlighted artists in their home towns including Post Malone in Dallas, Robb Bank$ in South Florida, and Young King Dave (RIP) in Middletown, New Jersey. Shop Talk is a Mass Appeal original series where musicians are invited to a local shop to check out what it is they have to offer. American rappers Post Malone, Dave East, and Playboi Carti have all appeared on the series. On Mass Appeal’s original series, SUPER they ask artists to explain what their superhero alter-egos would be, and Mass Appeal's illustrators bring those characters to life. Kendrick Lamar, Fat Joe, and Lil Yachty have all taken part in the animated series. After initially appearing on Mass Appeal’s YouTube channel as the unofficial music video for Migos “Bitch Dab” (later titled “Look at My Dab”), the spontaneous music video by the American hip hop group has gone viral, with over 12 million views on YouTube.
In 2016, Mass Appeal partnered with HBO to launch a campaign for the 6th season of Game of Thrones, entitled "Art the Throne" ― going on to win the Bronze Clio & Webby People's Voice awards.
MassAppeal.com is an outlet for youth-spawned urban culture. The site features daily original video and also publishes social content direct to various platforms.
- Mass Appeal on Forbes. Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- Mass Appeal Marks Decade in Business with Launch of Spinoff Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- Mass Appeal issue #52 with Earl Sweatshirt and Sagan Lockhart Retrieved on 14 July 2016
- Nas Invests Six-Figure Sum In Mass Appeal Magazine Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- Nas to Record On Mass Appeal Records; Will Release 'Lost Tapes 2' & Posthumous Pimp C Album (Billboard) Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- "Mass Appeal signs global distribution agreement with Universal Music Group". Music Business Worldwide. 13 June 2018.
- Pitchfork: 50 best albums of 2014 Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- Nas teams up with Mass Appeal Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- Fashawn's The Ecology on Mass Appeal Records Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- Mass Appeal released J Dilla's The Diary Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- DJ Shadows: 'The Mountain Will Fall' on Chicago Tribune Retrieved on 14 July 2016
- Nas launches Mass Appeal Records, readies release of Lost Tapes 2 and all-star compilation Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- CNN Films Gets FRESH DRESSED For Fall Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- Sundance Docu ‘Fresh Dressed’ Sells To Samuel Goldwyn & StyleHaul Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- Notorious B.I.G. Scripted Series in the Works at TBS Retrieved on 4 August 2016
- TBS Greenlights Digital Animated Series Storyville And Begins Development on Notorious B.I.G.-Inspired Series Retrieved on 4 August 2016.
- "What "Burn Motherf*cker, Burn!" Says About Black Anger & Resistance". Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- "Sacha Jenkins talks 'Rapture' and the importance of Hip Hop". REVOLT TV. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- Reeves, Mosi (2018-03-28). "'Rapture': Inside Netflix's Logic-to-Nas Hip-Hop Doc Series". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- 2015 Capsule Collection Lookbook by WATCHxWITNESS (Jason Goldwatch & 13thWitness) Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- Ski Beatz Flips A Squeeze LP On Mass Appeal's ‘Rhythm Roulette’ Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- Mass Appeal (2015-12-25), Rhythm Roulette: 9th Wonder, retrieved 2018-09-04
- Mass Appeal (2015-08-28), Rhythm Roulette: Mannie Fresh (Live From The Sprite Corner), retrieved 2018-09-04
- Mass Appeal (2015-09-10), Rhythm Roulette: Just Blaze (Live From The Sprite Corner), retrieved 2018-09-04
- On The Grind w Quim Cardona via Mass Appeal (2014) Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- "Time Pieces" series of short videos from Jason Goldwatch on techcrunch Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- Pharrell Williams and Karolina Kurkova on "Time Pieces" Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- Mass Appeal (2017-04-28), Open Space: Prodigy | Mass Appeal, retrieved 2018-09-04
- Mass Appeal (2017-07-10), Open Space: Fat Joe | Mass Appeal, retrieved 2018-09-04
- Mass Appeal (2017-06-30), Open Space: Trippie Redd | Mass Appeal, retrieved 2018-09-04
- Mass Appeal (2017-08-03), Open Space: Tekashi69 (6ix9ine) | Mass Appeal, retrieved 2018-09-04
- Mass Appeal (2017-07-27), Open Space: Ski Mask The Slump God | Mass Appeal, retrieved 2018-09-04
- Mass Appeal (2018-06-20), Robb Bank$: MADE IN BROWARD (Mini Doc) | Mass Appeal, retrieved 2018-09-04
- Mass Appeal (2017-01-18), Shop Talk: Post Malone | Mass Appeal, retrieved 2018-09-04
- Mass Appeal (2015-05-01), SUPER: Kendrick Lamar, retrieved 2018-09-04
- Mass Appeal (2015-11-12), Bitch Dab (Accidental Music Video) - Migos, retrieved 2018-09-04
- Mass Appeal Launches ‘Charged By Belief’ for Under Armour. Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- Artists Recreate Pivotal Game of Thrones Scenes to Celebrate Its Sixth Season (Adweek) Retrieved on 14 July 2016.
- "Game of Thrones - Game of Thrones Art Gallery Experience". Clios. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- "Art The Throne | The Webby Awards". Retrieved 2018-08-20.