Mass Appeal Records
|Mass Appeal Records|
|Parent company||Universal Music Group |
Nasir "Nas" Jones |
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||New York City, New York|
|Official website||Official website|
Mass Appeal Records is an American independent record label founded in 2014. The label is the music division of the Mass Appeal Media Group. In May 2014, it was announced that American rapper Nas was launching an indie label with Mass Appeal. The label’s current roster includes an artists such as: Nas, DJ Shadow, Mannie Fresh, Dave East, Fashawn, Black Milk, Cuz Lightyear, Keyon Harrold, Ezri & more.
Since its inception, the label has put out releases including Young Thug, Freddie Gibbs & A$AP Ferg's single "Old English”, Jay Electronica’s “Exhibit A + C”, Fashawn’s “The Ecology”, Pimp C's "Long Live The Pimp", J Dilla's "The Diary" & Dave East's "Black Rose", "Hate Me Now", "Kairi Chanel" & "Paranoia: A True Story."
Following his signing to Mass Appeal Records, Fashawn released his long-awaited second album The Ecology on February 24, 2015. The album features guest appearances by Nas, Aloe Blacc, Dom Kennedy, and more.
On October 24, 2014, the label released Run the Jewels album Run the Jewels 2. The album was crowned as number-one album of the year by Pitchfork, Stereogum and Spin and number-two hip hop album of the year by Rolling Stone. In 2015, Marvel Comics released comic book covers inspired by Run the Jewels.
Mass Appeal Records released The Mountain Will Fall, the fifth studio album by DJ Shadow on June 24, 2016. It was his first studio album since 2011's The Less You Know, the Better. The album was ranked at number one on Top Dance/Electronic Albums at Billboard.
On December 4, 2015, the label released Pimp C's fifth album, the posthumous Long Live the Pimp. The following year, on April 15, 2016, the label released J Dilla's vocal album The Diary. The album was ranked at number two on Pitchfork's list of "Most Promising" releases of Record Store Day 2016. NPR included "Fuck the Police" in their Songs We Love segment.
In May 2017, Mass Appeal announced a joint venture publishing company with Pulse Music Group.
In June 2018, a new partnership with Universal Music Group was announced with the companies entering into a multi-year global agreement.
In June 15, 2018, Nas released his twelfth studio album Nasir, through Mass Appeal Records and Def Jam Recordings. It succeeds Nas' album Life Is Good, released six years prior in 2012. The album features an appearance from Kanye West, as well as Puff Daddy, 070 Shake, Tony Williams, and The-Dream. Nasir debuted at number five on the US Billboard 200 with 77,000 album-equivalent units, of which 49,000 were pure album sales. It serves as Nas's twelfth top-ten album in the United States.
In August 2018, Cantrell released his debut EP “Stardust 2 Angels".
- Run the Jewels
- Boldy James
- Dave East
- Mannie Fresh
- DJ Shadow
- Pimp C
- Black Milk
- Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2 - October 24, 2014
- Fashawn - The Ecology - February 24, 2015
- Boldy James - Trapper's Alley 2 - February 27, 2015
- The Alchemist and Oh No - Welcome to Los Santos - April 21, 2015
- Gangrene - You Disgust Me - August 7, 2015
- Run the Jewels - Meow the Jewels - September 25, 2015
- Dave East - Hate Me Now - October 1, 2015
- Pimp C - Long Live the Pimp - December 4, 2015
- Various Artists - Rubble Kings: The Album - January 15, 2016
- J Dilla - The Diary - April 15, 2016
- DJ Shadow - The Mountain Will Fall - June 24, 2016
- Various Artists - The Land (Music from the Motion Picture) - July 29, 2016
- Dave East - Kairi Chanel - September 30, 2016
- Boldy James - The Art of Rock Climbing - January 27, 2017
- Boldy James - House of Blues - February 24, 2017
- Fashawn - Manna - August 11, 2017
- Dave East - Paranoia: A True Story - August 18, 2017
- Dave East - Paranoia 2 - January 16, 2018
- Black Milk - Fever - February 23, 2018
- Nas - Nasir - June 15, 2018
- Cantrell - Stardust 2 Angels - August 24, 2018
- "MASS APPEAL AND UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE GLOBAL DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENT". universalmusic.com. June 13, 2018. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- Ugwu, Reggie. "Nas to Record On Mass Appeal Records; Will Release 'Lost Tapes 2' & Posthumous Pimp C Album". billboard.com. Billboard Magazine. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- "Fashawn "The Ecology" Track Listing". massappeal.com. January 27, 2015. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- New Marvel Comics Covers Paying Tribute to Run the Jewels Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
- DJ Shadow Scores First No. 1 on Top Dance/Electronic Albums Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
- Long Live the Pimp,' a Documentary on the Life and Legacy of Pimp C Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
- Nas to Release J Dilla Album 'The Diary' from 2002 on Mass Appeal Records Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
- Record Store Day 2016's Best and Weirdest Bets Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
- Songs We Love: J Dilla, 'F*** The Police' Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
- Staff, Variety (May 25, 2017). "Pulse Music Group, Mass Appeal Partner for Urban Culture-Themed Original Content". Variety. Retrieved August 17, 2018.
- "Mass Appeal and Universal Music Group Announce Exclusive Global Distribution Agreement - UMG". UMG. June 13, 2018. Retrieved August 17, 2018.
- Elibert, Mark (August 24, 2018). "Mass Appeal Signee Cantrell Talks 'Stardust 2 Angels' EP, Love For Jam Skating & Why He's Hip-Hop's Deion Sanders". Billboard. Retrieved August 24, 2018.