Massachusetts Avenue station
Station headhouse entrance from Massachusetts Avenue
|Location||380 Massachusetts Avenue|
|Owned by||Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Opened||May 4, 1987|
|Passengers (2013)||6,417 (weekday average boardings)|
Massachusetts Avenue is a rapid transit station in Boston, Massachusetts. It serves the MBTA Orange Line, and is located at 380 Massachusetts Avenue. The station opened in 1987 as part of the renovation and relocation of the southern Orange Line into the Southwest Corridor. The Orange line runs parallel to the Northeast Corridor, which carries Amtrak trains and several MBTA commuter rail lines.
Like all stations on the Orange Line, Massachusetts Avenue is handicapped accessible.
Chickering station, located northeast of Camden Street where it crossed the rail line, was opened by the 1870s. It was closed in 1896 because Back Bay station was under construction just 3,500 feet (1,100 m) to the northeast.
Two MBTA Bus routes connect directly at the station:
- 1 Harvard/Holyoke Gate - Dudley Station via Massachusetts Avenue
- CT1 Central Square - B.U. Medical Center via M.I.T.
Additionally, the Green Line "E" Branch and the 39 Forest Hills Station - Back Bay Station via Huntington Avenue route are available at Symphony station, 800 feet (240 m) away on Massachusetts Avenue.
|Southbound||← Orange Line toward Forest Hills (Ruggles)|
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Northbound||→ Orange Line toward Oak Grove (Back Bay) →|
- Belcher, Jonathan (22 March 2014). "Changes to Transit Service in the MBTA district" (PDF). NETransit. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Ridership and Service Statistics" (PDF) (14th ed.). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 2014.
- Plate Y: Part of Ward 11, Boston. Atlas of County of Suffolk, MA including Boston Proper. 1. G.M. Hopkins & Co. 1874 – via Ward Maps.
- Seventh Annual Report of the Public Service Commission for the Eleven Months ended November 30, 1919. Massachusetts Public Service Commission. January 1920. pp. 222–223 – via Google Books.