Massachusetts Wing Civil Air Patrol
The Massachusetts Wing of the Civil Air Patrol, the United States Air Force Auxiliary
|United States Air Force|
|Commander||Col John Flaherty, CAP|
|Vice Commander||Lt Col Stephen Hood, CAP|
|Chief of Staff||Lt Col Keith Raymond, CAP|
|Statistics as of 2015|
The Massachusetts Wing Civil Air Patrol (abbreviated MAWG), commonly referred to as "Mass Wing", is the highest echelon of the Civil Air Patrol in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Its headquarters is located at Hanscom Air Force Base in Bedford, Massachusetts. MA Wing reports to Northeast Region CAP, which reports to CAP National Headquarters.
Training for all Emergency Services functions is based on the Incident Command System. The most basic qualifications require certification in the ICS-100 course available online.
Members of the wing assisted in the search for John F. Kennedy, Jr.'s plane crash site. More recently, a few Massachusetts Wing members aided with Incident Command at the Gulf Oil Spill Disaster.
Aerospace Education includes Orientation Flights for Cadets under 18 and a display competition which is judged at the annual Conference.
The Cadet Program culminates each summer in an encampment. In recent years, encampments have been held at Fort Devens in Ayer, Massachusetts. Previously they were held at Camp Edwards at the Massachusetts Military Reservation on Cape Cod. Massachusetts Wing has credit for 17 Spaatz-earning Cadets
At one time, Massachusetts Wing oversaw approximately 25 primary subordinate squadrons under 4 groups located throughout the state, however the groups were eliminated when the number of squadrons dwindled below the 20 required to justify their existence. To date, there are currently 13 Active Squadrons in the Massachusetts Wing.
- Beverly Composite Squadron MA-019
- Boston Cadet Squadron MA-002
- Bridgewater State University Squadron MA-005
- Coastal Patrol 18 Composite Squadron MA-044
- Essex County Composite Squadron MA-070
- Franklin County Composite Squadron MA-013
- Goddard Cadet Squadron MA-007
- Hanscom Composite Squadron MA-043
- Lt Col. Frank Pocher Minute Man Squadron MA-059
- Pilgrim Composite Squadron MA-071
- Westover Composite Squadron MA-015
- Worcester Cadet Squadron MA-022
- "eServices, National Headquarters". Civil Air Patrol., login required