Massacre (metal band)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Origin||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Years active||1984–1987, 1989–1992, 1993–1996, 2007–2008, 2011–2014, 2016–present|
|Labels||Earache, Century Media|
Massacre is an American death metal band. They were formed in 1984 by Allen West, Bill Andrews, Rick Rozz, and Terry Butler, and soon after vocalist Kam Lee joined. The band has reunited several times with varying line-ups, most recently in late 2011.
Massacre were formed in 1984 by Allen West (guitar), Bill Andrews (drums), Mike Borders (bass) and soon joined by Kam Lee. They disbanded and re-united again several times. In 1987, Rozz, Andrews and Butler joined Death, but by 1991 the three later rejoined with Rick Rozz (guitar) and Massacre released their debut album From Beyond on Earache Records, followed by an EP a year later (featuring Cronos of Venom). After the release of the EP the band split up again. Rozz reformed the band in 1993 and released a new album Promise in 1996. That same year, Kam Lee left the band during post-production of Promise due to being dissatisfied with the songs and his performance. Kam Lee, Terry Butler and Steve Swanson along with Sam Williams and Curtis Beeson temporarily reunited as Massacre in 2006. Butler, Lee, Beeson & Williams then founded Denial Fiend with Blaine Cook replacing Lee and Rob Rampy replacing Beeson in 2008. In 2011, Butler and Rozz reunited for an anniversary tour of From Beyond beginning January 14 in Tampa, Florida.
Butler and Rozz reformed Massacre in late 2011, with Mike Mazzonetto on drums and Ed Webb on vocals, and subsequently played the 70,000 Tons of Metal cruise from Miami, Florida to Grand Cayman in January 2012. In March 2012, under the wing of lawyer Eric Greif - coincidentally Butler and Rozz's manager in Death - the band signed an international recording deal with Century Media Records, announcing a 7" release prior to their August 2012 appearance at the Wacken Festival in Germany and the release of their full-length album in early 2014.
On December 11, 2014 it was announced that bassist Terry Butler and vocalist Ed Webb left the band. As the result, Massacre disbanded.
Members and ex-members of Massacre have played in many notable bands, most notably Death, Obituary, Six Feet Under, Metalucifer, Hate Plow, Kreator, Nasty Savage, Zero Hour and Whiplash. Members and ex-members have also played in less known bands Denial Fiend, Last Rite, Havoc Mass, Lowbrow, Fester, Fierce Atmospheres, Death Corps, Cerebral Hemorrhage, Raped Ape, Thatcher, Cadaverizer, Abhorred Existence, Down by Law and Pseudo Heroes,Pain Principle.
- Kam Lee – vocals (1984–1996, 2006–2007, 2016–present)
- Rick Rozz – guitar (1984–1987, 1989–1995, 2011–2014, 2016–present)
- Mike Mazzonetto – drums (2011–2014, 2016–present)
- Michael Grim – bass, vocals (2016–present)
- Mark Brents - vocals (1984)
- J.P. Chartier – guitar (1984)
- Allen West – guitar (1984–1986)
- Rob Goodwin – guitar (1986–1987)
- Terry Butler – bass (1987, 1990–1993, 2006–2007, 2011–2014)
- Steve Swanson – guitar (1991–1992, 2006–2007)
- Sam Williams – guitar (2007-2008)
- Scott Blackwood - bass (1984)
- Pete Sison – bass (1994-1996)
- Michael Borders – bass (1984–1986)
- Butch Gonzales – bass (1990-1991)
- Dave Pybus - bass (2007)
- Bill Andrews – drums (1984–1993)
- Joe Cangelosi – drums (1990)
- Syrus Peters – drums (1994-1996)
- Curtis Beeson – drums (2007-2008)
- Ed Webb – vocals (2011–2014)
- From Beyond (1991, Earache Records)
- Promise (1996, Earache Records)
- Back from Beyond (2014, Century Media Records)
- Inhuman Condition (1992, Earache Records)
- Condemned to the Shadows (2012, Century Media Records)
- Aggressive Tyrant (1986)
- Chamber of Ages (1986)
- Second Coming (1990)
- Tyrants of Death (2006, Iron Pegasus)
- The Second Coming (2008, Hell's Headbangers)
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - MASSACRE To Play One-Off Show In Tampa Prior To European Tour". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "MASSACRE Disbands Following Split With Bassist TERRY BUTLER And Vocalist ED WEBB". Blabbermouth.net. December 11, 2014. Retrieved December 11, 2014.