6 February 1969 |
|1996–2011||Swiss Super League||Referee|
Busacca used to play football in a lower division in Ticino. After a successful career as a top referee he became Head of FIFA Refereeing in July 2011.
Busacca was a Swiss Super League Referee from 1996-2011 and a FIFA referee from 1999-2011.
Busacca took charge of the 2007 UEFA Cup Final at Hampden Park on 16 May, one of the biggest appointments for a UEFA referee. Busacca sent off RCD Espanyol midfielder Moisés Hurtado for a second bookable offence during the match.
At the tournament, Busacca was the referee for the Group C game between Netherlands and Romania, the Group D game between Greece and Sweden and the semi Final match between Germany and Turkey.
He was chosen as a referee for the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup, refereeing the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup semi-final game between South Africa and Brazil match on 25 June 2009 in Johannesburg and Brazil went on to win 1-0.
On 19 September 2009, Busacca was the referee in a Swiss Cup match between FC Baden and BSC Young Boys. After crowd trouble disrupted the game after home side Baden took an unlikely lead, Busacca raised his middle finger to the crowd. Busacca had initially denied making the obscene gesture but was handed a three match ban by the Swiss Football Association and was forced to issue an apology.
2011 Champions League
2006 FIFA World Cup
Busacca was chosen to be a referee at the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany.
He refereed three games:
- 14 June 2006 (Group stage): Spain - Ukraine 4:0
- 20 June 2006 (Group stage): Sweden - England 2:2
- 24 June 2006 (1/8 finals) : Argentina - Mexico 2:1 a.OT.
2010 FIFA World Cup
He awarded a penalty and showed the red card to the South African goalkeeper, Itumeleng Khune, in the 77th minute, for tripping the Uruguay striker, Luis Suárez. South Africa went on to lose the game 3-0, and Khune became just the second goalkeeper to be sent off in World Cup history.
- FIFA World Cup in Germany 2006 and South Africa 2010.
- Euro 2008 in Switzerland and Austria.
- UEFA Champions League Final 2009: FC Barcelona - Manchester United.
- UEFA Cup Final 2007: Sevilla - Espanyol Barcelona.
- Best referee in the World 2009
- UEFA Super Cup Final 2010: Inter Milan - Atlético Madrid.
- 42 UEFA Champions League games, 45 UEFA Cup games.
- 245 games in the Swiss Super League.
Retirement and subsequent ventures
- Referees named for EURO 2008, uefa.com, December 19, 2007
- Referee Rosetti gets Euro 2008 final, Agence France-Presse, June 24, 2008
- Wilson, Steve (22 September 2009). "Swiss referee Massimo Busacca banned for giving fans the 'finger'". The Telegraph. London. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "Swiss ref banned over fan insult". BBC News. 21 September 2009. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- http://www.rodvand.net/martin/blog/2011/07/14/massimo-busacca-retires-moves-into-fifa-position/. Missing or empty
|UEFA Cup Final referee
|UEFA Champions League Final referee