|Chairman of Cassa Depositi e Prestiti|
Assumed office |
24 July 2018
|Treasury Undersecretary of the Ministry Of Economy and Finance|
16 May 2006 – 6 May 2008
|Prime Minister||Romano Prodi|
22 August 1964|
Tononi was born on 22 August 1964 in Trento, Italy. He is the son of politician Giorgio Tononi and the brother of neuroscientist Giulio Tononi. He graduated with a degree in economics from Bocconi University in 1988. Tononi worked in the Investment Banking Division of Goldman Sachs, London from June 1988 to May 1993. He returned to Italy in 1993, where he was the Personal Assistant to the President (Romano Prodi) of the Istituto per la Ricostruzione Industriale (IRI). After Prodi left the IRI in 1994, Tononi returned to London, where he became a Partner and Managing Director of Goldman Sachs, London. From December 1999 to August 2005 he also worked at Goldman Sachs, Milan. On 18 May 2006, Tononi joined the 2nd Cabinet of Romano Prodi, where he served as Treasury Undersecretary of the Ministry Of Economy and Finance (2006-2008), then headed by Tommaso Padoa-Schioppa. Tononi had provided 100,000 € to Prodi's electoral campaign. In 2007 Tononi was implicated in a scandal regarding the Italdel-Siemens merger in the mid 1990s, In February 2007 the Treasury Police raided the Milan office of Goldman Sachs, where they removed a file called "MTononi/memo-Prodi02.doc".
Upon Prodi's sudden fall in May 2008, Tononi in September the same year again appointed a Partner and Managing Director of the Investment Banking Division of Goldman Sachs, London. In July 2010 Tononi ceased to be a Partner and Managing of Goldman Sachs, although remaining as an advisory director. He has been a Director of Mittel S.p.A and Mittel Private Equity SpA since May 2010, a Member of the Board of Sorin SpA since June 2010, an Independent Director of Prysmian S.p.A since July 2010, an Independent Non Executive Director of London Stock Exchange Group plc since September 2010, and a Non Executive Director of Borsa Italiana S.p.A since 4 November 2010. On 28 June 2011, Tononi was appointed Chairman of Borsa Italiana S.p.A. On 18 April 2012, Tononi was appointed Chairman of Prysmian S.p.A.
On 7 August 2015 he resigned from board of Borsa Italiana. On 15 September he has been appointed as President of bank Monte dei Paschi di Siena by the shareholders' meeting. He resigned from the Board of Directors on 14 September 2016, just after the resignation of the CEO Fabrizio Viola, and has been substituted by Alessandro Falciai as President of the board, and by Massimo Egidi as member of the board. From November 2018 to July 2018 he was indipendent Member of the Board of Mediobanca. From April 2017 to October 2017 he was indipendent Member of the Board of Quaestio Capital Management SGR. Since 24 July 2018 he is Chairman of Cassa Depositi e Prestiti.
- "Massimo TONONI". Senate of the Republic. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Giorgio Tononi: più della politica potè la famiglia". Corriere del Trentino. 5 May 2007. Archived from the original on 4 October 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Massimo Tononi". Businessweek. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Il contributo di Tononi: 100 mila euro a Prodi". Corriere del Trentino. 8 June 2006. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Italians claim country run by Goldman Sachs". Telegraph Media Group. 19 June 2007. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- Finelli, Carlo; De Rosa, Federico (29 March 2010). "Tononi prepara l' addio a Goldman". Corriere della Sera. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Mittel: Bazoli, Tononi in cda e Spongano d.g. al posto di Gorno Tempini". Il Sole 24 Ore. 29 March 2010. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "London Stock Exchange: cambiamenti nel board". La Stampa. 27 September 2010. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Borsa Italiana, Massimo Tononi nuovo presidente". Reuters. 28 June 2011. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Monte dei Paschi shareholders appoint Tononi as new chairman". Yahoo!. 15 September 2015. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- "For MPS a race against time, Board meeting on Thursday to select new CEO". Il Sole 24 Ore. 10 September 2016. Retrieved 26 December 2016.