|Developer(s)||Double Fine Productions|
|Publisher(s)||Double Fine Productions|
Brian Lee White
October 21, 2014
November 11, 2014
Microsoft Windows, Xbox One
June 1, 2015
Massive Chalice is a turn-based strategy video game for Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, OS X, and Linux by Double Fine Productions, which was funded through Kickstarter. The project leader of the game is Brad Muir, who was previously the project leader of Iron Brigade. It was expected to be released in September 2014 until the game was delayed. The beta version of the game, for people who backed the game at a high enough pledge level to get beta access, was released on October 21, 2014. It was released on Steam Early Access on November 11, 2014. It was released for the Xbox One and Windows on June 1, 2015 for $20 or free for Xbox Live Gold subscribers.
In May 2013, Massive Chalice became the focus of Double Fine's second Kickstarter campaign, after Broken Age (formerly known as Double Fine Adventure) in 2012. The Double Fine team had learned from their mistakes on the first kickstarter and opted to not show as much exclusive material to backers, as this created a rift between the backers and non-backers, as well as members of the press. Kickstarter backers influenced the development of the game when the ability for same sex marriage was added to the game after a number of requests. Brad Muir stated that backer input before development was one of the advantages of Kickstarter, since a feature such as this might not have been thought about until the game was almost completed, which would have made it harder to implement.
- "Teamstream #23 Wednesday July 9th, Musicians from Finishing Move on the Couch and an Extended Playtest!". Kickstarter. 2014-06-02. Retrieved 2014-06-02.
- "Double Fine doubles down on Kickstarter with Massive Chalice". Gamasutra. 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- "Massive Chalice Premium Backer Beta Is Out Now". The International House of Mojo. 2014-10-21. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- "Since We've Been Down". The International House of Mojo. 2014-11-11. Retrieved 2014-11-13.
- Juba, Joe (May 14, 2015). "Massive Chalice: PC Version Hits June 1, Xbox One Version "Around Then"". Game Informer. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "Double Fine asks crowd to lift 'Massive Chalice' game". USA Today. 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "Double Fine is ready to Kickstart your Life! Again!". The International House of Mojo. 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "Massive Chalice is Double Fine's next Kickstarter project". IGN. 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- Makedonski, Brett. "Hey, you: Go download Massive Chalice for free on Xbox One". Destructoid. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "Double Fine Turns To Kickstarter To Fund Massive Chalice". The Escapist. 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- "Tim Schafer's Great Video Game Experiment". Kotaku. 2013-08-31. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- "Double Fine's Tactical Strategy Game Massive Chalice Ends Its Kickstarter A Massive Success". Eurogamer. 2013-06-28. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- "How Kickstarter Got Gay Marriage Into Massive Chalice". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. 2013-06-06. Retrieved 2013-09-12.