MasterClass is a San Francisco-based online education platform. Students can access tutorials and lectures pre-recorded by experts in various fields.
In addition to the video classes, class workbook and homework are also part of the course. In the case of actor Dustin Hoffman's course, the "interactive assignments" involved the student acting with other students, either in person or over Skype.
The general consensus among critics is that while the classes do not teach technical skills to improve proficiency in the craft, they provide insight into the grueling nature of artistic pursuits and striving for perfection while inspiring a love of the craft.
The Verge noted that while the subscriptions last a lifetime, each course has little replay value, and so it is challenging to keep the student learning within the platform once they have viewed the video classes. Reviewopedia noted that while there are many educational tutorial platforms, this has a point of difference as having teachers that are worldwide recognised in their fields. Deadline noted that the classes are not interactive, which is a symptom of online courses in general.
- Loizos, Connie. "MasterClass Raises $15 Million For Online Classes Taught By Celebrities". TechCrunch. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- "Dustin Hoffman's online acting class: What it's like to learn from the master". The Independent. May 29, 2015. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- "Christina Aguilera's MasterClass in Singing Through the Eyes of a Non-Singer". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- Kaufman, Amy (July 14, 2017). "In this digital self-help age, just how effective are MasterClass's A-list celebrity workshops?". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 11, 2018.
- Osburn, Christopher. "Can Gordon Ramsay's MasterClass Make You A Master Chef? We Tried It". AskMen. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- "What It's Like To Take An Acting Class With Dustin Hoffman". Refinery29. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- "An Accomplished Writer Takes a 'MasterClass' From a Gargantuan Selling Writer". Observer. August 4, 2015. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- "What I Learned From Usher's Online Class on 'the Art of Performance'". Vulture. December 29, 2015. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- "Who is MasterClass for? Talking to the people who take online classes with big-name celebs". The Verge. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- "MasterClass.com Reviews - Legit or Scam?". Reviewopedia. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- Fleming, Mike Jr (April 20, 2017). "David Mamet Teaches Master Class On Writing For Stage & Screen". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- Hayes, Dade (October 31, 2017). "Kevin Spacey MasterClass Dropped From Online Instructional Video Hub". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 1, 2018.
|This website-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|