Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy
|Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy|
|Directed by||Yuen Woo-ping|
|Produced by||Raymond Wong|
Donnie Yen Shu qi
|Written by||Edmond Wong|
|Distributed by||Universal Studios (USA)|
Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy (Chinese: 葉問外傳：張天志) is a 2018 Chinese martial arts film directed by Yuen Woo-ping and produced by Raymond Wong and Donnie Yen. It is a spin-off and direct sequel to the 2015 film Ip Man 3. This film stars Max Zhang, Dave Bautista and Liu Yan, and was released on December 21, 2018.
After being defeated by Ip Man, Cheung Tin Chi (Max Zhang) lives a depressed life and stays low profile, moonlighting as a mercenary briefly, before choosing to leave behind the world of martial arts, and to operate a grocery store. While on a delivery run, he runs into the opium addict Nana (Chrissie Chau), who is in debt to Tso Sai Kit (Kevin Cheng), and her friend Julia (Liu Yan), who are fleeing from Kit. He ends up fighting with Kit's gang and defeats the whole gang single-handedly.
The police arrives and arrests everyone. Kit and his gang are released due to the police commissioner being corrupt, while Nana and Julia are released by name-dropping Julia's brother, Fu, the owner of Gold Bar operating on Bar Street. Tin Chi is eventually released too.
Following the incident, Kit decides to seek out Tin Chi, with his whole gang setting his shop house on fire one night. Tin Chi barely escapes alive with his son, while being pursued by the gang and Sadi, a hired assassin (Tony Jaa). He is offered shelter at Fu's home by Julia, and works at Gold Bar to pay his rental. Tin Chi forges a close friendship with Fu over their Wing Chun past.
Angered by the injuries to his son, Tin Chi retaliates and sets Kit's opium den on fire. Kit's sister, Kwan (Michelle Yeoh), the head of the syndicate wishing to transition to legal businesses, prevents Kit from taking revenge and visits Tin Chi at the Gold Bar to pay him to drop the matter, but Tin Chi refuses the money, impressing Kwan.
Kit, attempting to escape from the shadows of Kwan, decides to move into drug dealing with his friend, peddling drugs on Bar Street for Davidson (Dave Bautista), who uses his restaurant as a front for his drug business. Tin Chi tips off Kwan about the business, who requests for time to settle the business.
After finding Nana in a back alley, Kit and his gang kills Nana by forcing her to overdose on cocaine. Tin Chi and Fu fight their way to the syndicate's headquarters, where they fight with Kit and Kwan. Kwan, attempting to placate them, cuts off Kit's right arm and force him to reveal the drug storage. Fu then exposes the drugs to the media.
In return, Davidson has corrupt police officers set up Fu on a false drug charge. After arresting him, they hand Fu over to Davidson to be killed in an unfair fight. Subsequently, following the discovery that Davidson murdered Fu, Tin Chi gets himself into a fight with Davidson, in which he regains his confidence in using Wing Chun for good.
The police commissioner attempts to arrest Tin Chi but is in turn arrested by his lieutenant (Philip Keung) for corruption. Davidson attempts to escape in the ensuing chaos, but is assassinated by Sadi, who had been hired by Kwan before leaving Hong Kong with Kit.
Soon after, Tin Chi reunites with his son and Julia as they eat a meal together in Fu's home.
- Max Zhang as Cheung Tin Chi, a former Wing Chun master who was defeated by Ip Man in a duel behind closed doors, and subsequently becomes a mercenary
- Dave Bautista as Owen Davidson, the leader of a drug smuggling syndicate, who also runs a restaurant.
- Liu Yan as Julia
- Xing Yu as Fu, Julia's brother and former Wing Chun practitioner, who now owns the Gold Bar on Bar Street.
- Michelle Yeoh as Tso Ngan Kwan, the leader of the Cheung Lok organised crime gang, who wants to turn the gang into a legitimate business entity, and the elder sister of Tso Sai Kit.
- Tony Jaa as Sadi the warrior (special cameo appearance)
- Kevin Cheng as Tso Sai Kit, younger brother of Tso Ngan Kwan, who initially runs an opium den, before becoming a drug peddler behind his sister's back at Bar Street.
- Chrissie Chau as Nana, an opium addict and close friend of Julia
- Patrick Tam
- Brian Thomas Burrell as a Senior Police officer
- Yuen Wah Special Guest Appearance
On Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a score of 86% based on 28 reviews, with an average rating of 6.73/10.  Elizabeth Kerr of The Hollywood Reporter wrote, "Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy doesn't have much on its mind besides delivering on fights — and in that aspect it succeeds." Edmund Lee of South China Morning Post wrote that "Master Z is undoubtedly a feast for martial arts movie lovers", and gave the film 3.5 of 5 stars.
- "叶问系列最新电影《叶问外传：张天志》即将上映". Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- Cheang, Michael (December 24, 2018). "'Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy': No Ip Man? No problem". AsiaOne. Retrieved 2018-12-28.
- Ye Wen hui chuan: Zhang Tianzhi, IMDb, retrieved 2018-12-28
- Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (2019), retrieved 2019-04-22
- Kerr, Elizabeth (12 October 2018). "'Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy' ('Ye wen wai zhuan: zhang tian zhi'): Film Review | Busan 2018". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 1 November 2018.
- Lee, Edmund (20 December 2018). "Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy film review". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 17 March 2019.