Master of Information Management
A Master of Information Management (MIM) is an interdisciplinary degree program designed to provide studies in strategic information management, knowledge management, usability, business administration, information systems, information architecture, information design, computer sciences, policy, ethics, and project management. The degree is relatively new and has typically been developed alongside other, more established programs in university Schools of Information. The MIM degree has emerged to address the growing and unique need for information professionals who understand the conflux of multiple organizational issues across several disciplines.
The MIM degree is distinguished from closely related degrees (for example, Master of Science in Information System Management, Master of Information System Management, Master of Information Systems) that provide focused areas of study in computer science, information technology, information science, telecommunications, or some combination of these.
The first MIM Program in New Zealand was started in 2002 at Victoria University of Wellington. The first MIM degree program in the United States began in the fall of 2003 at The University of Maryland. Canada's first MIM program was established in Spring 2008.
- Syracuse University School of Information Studies
- University of Michigan School of Information
- University of Maryland College of Information Studies
- Washington University School of Engineering
- University of Washington Information School
- Arizona State University
- Missouri Western State University
- University of Mumbai
- Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- MET (Mumbai Educational Trust) Institute of Management Studies, Bandra, Mumbai
- Welingkar Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- K.J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- IES Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- Thakur Institute of Management Studies and Research, Mumbai
The University of Maryland College of Information Studies describes the MIM degree as a focus "on ways information and technology can be best organized, implemented and managed to meet the needs of end users in a variety of business, legal, nonprofit, government and institutional settings, which are affected by changes in the global environment every day."
Curriculum will vary from school to school.
At the University of Maryland, MIM students can specialize, earning a degree with a concentration of Strategic Management of Information Concentration or Technology Development and Deployment (formerly Socio-Tech Information Systems). The Strategic Management of Information is intended for those students who want to become organizations’ chief information officers, or follow that general management path. Technology Development and Deployment is designed for students who want to follow technology director career paths.
- "MIM Anniversary Event". 2011.
- "Graduate School, USDA and UM Jointly Offer Information Management Master's Degree". Office of University Communications, University of Maryland. December 17, 2003. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- "Canada's first Master of Information Management Program". Canadian Association of Special Libraries and Information Services. July 2008. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- "Master of Information Management (MIM)". Maryland's iSchool. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Strategic Management of Information". Maryland's iSchool. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "Technology Development and Deployment". Maryland's iSchool. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Syracuse University, School of Information Studies, Master of Science in Information Management
- University of Maryland, College of Information Studies, Master of Information Management Program
- Washington University in St. Louis, College of Engineering, Graduate Studies in Information Management
- Dalhousie University, Faculty of Management, Master of Information Management
- Victoria University of Wellington, School of Information Management, MIM | School of Information Management
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Faculty of Business and Economics, Master of Information Management
- Tilburg University, TiasNimbas Business School, Executive Master of Information Management
- Missouri Western State University, Masters in Information Management