Master of Public Policy
The Master of Public Policy (M.P.P.) one of several public policy degrees, is a master's level professional degree that provides training in policy analysis and program evaluation at public policy schools. The MPP program places a focus on the systematic analysis of issues related to public policy and the decision processes associated with them. This includes training in the role of economic and political factors in public decision-making and policy formulation; microeconomic analysis of policy options and issues; resource allocation and decision modeling; cost/benefit analysis; statistical methods; and various applications to specific public policy topics. MPP recipients serve or have served in the public sector, at the international, national, subnational, and local levels.
MPP and MPA
Over time, the curriculum of Master of Public Policy and the Master of Public Administration (M.P.A.) degrees have tended to overlap in many areas, due to the realization that policy analysis and program evaluation could benefit from an understanding of public administration, and vice versa.
Today, the core course offerings of many M.P.A. and M.P.P. programs are similar, with M.P.P. programs providing training in policy analysis, and M.P.A. programs providing coursework in program implementation. However, MPP programs still place more emphasis in policy analysis, research and evaluation, while MPA programs place more emphasis on implementation of public policies and the design of effective programs and projects to achieve public policy goals. Some universities have begun offering a combined M.P.P.A. degree, Master of Public Policy and Administration. Several institutions use Public Policy as an umbrella term, which may house several programs such as an M.P.A. and degrees related to highly specific areas focusing on fields such as Survey Research or Nonprofit Studies.
Over the years MPP programs have become more interdisciplinary drawing from economics, sociology, anthropology, politics, and regional planning. In general a core curriculum of an MPP program includes courses on Microeconomics, Public Finance, Research Methods, Statistics and Advanced Data Analysis, Qualitative Research, Population Methods, Politics of Policy Process, Policy Analysis, Ethics, Public Management, Urban Policy & GIS, Program Evaluation, and more. All these courses are designed to equip MPP graduates with skills and knowledge in advanced economic analysis, political analysis, ethical analysis, data analysis, management and leadership. Depending on the interest, MPP students can concentrate in many policy areas including but not limited to urban policy, global policy, social policy, health policy, non-profit management, transportation, economic development, education, information technology, population research, etc.
Schools Offering the Master's of Public Policy
A Master's of Public Policy can be acquired at various institutions. Below is a list of some of these institutions:
- In Australia, an M.P.P. can be acquired at the University of Tasmania, University of Sydney, Macquarie University and the Australian National University.
- In Canada, an M.P.P. can be acquired at the Simon Fraser University, the University of Calgary, the University of Saskatchewan, and the University of Toronto.
- In Germany, an M.P.P. can be acquired at the Hertie School of Governance and the University of Erfurt.
- In Japan, an M.P.P. can be acquired at National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies and (the University of Tokyo).
- In India, an M.P.P. can be acquired at the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, National Law School of India University in Bangalore; the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in Hyderabad, the St Xavier's College in Mumbai and the Jindal School of Government and Public Policy, Sonipat, Haryana.
- In the UK, an M.P.P. can be acquired at the University of Cambridge, University of Oxford and University of Edinburgh.
- In the United States, an M.P.P. can be acquired at numerous institutions including American University, Arizona State University, Brandeis University, Brown University, California Lutheran University, California Polytechnic State University, California State University, Sacramento, Carnegie Mellon University, The College of William and Mary, George Washington University, George Mason University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgetown University, the University of Houston, Harvard University, Jacksonville University, The Johns Hopkins University, Liberty University, Mills College, Oregon State University, Pepperdine University, Northwestern University, Stanford University, Stony Brook University, Simmons College, The University of Arizona, the University of California-Berkeley, the University of California-Los Angeles, the University of Chicago, Ohio State University, Florida State University, the University of Northern Iowa, the University of Denver, the University of Texas at Dallas, the University of Maryland, College Park, the University of Massachusetts Amherst, the University of Michigan, the University of Southern California, the University of Tennessee - Knoxville, the University of Utah, and the University of Virginia. Through institutions' departments of public policy, M.P.A. degrees are offered at Rutgers University and University at Albany (SUNY); the University of Connecticut's Department of Public Policy offers an M.P.A. with close ties to a Master of Arts in Survey Research. Northwestern University is among the first schools to offer a hybrid M.P.P.A. degree.
- Master of Public Affairs
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Nonprofit Organizations
- Public policy schools
- Master of Business Administration
- Doctor of Public Administration
- National Center for Education Statistics, Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP 2000): 44.0501 (1990 Crosswalk) Public Policy Analysis. US Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences. (Accessed 20 May 2009)
- (USA) National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration
- (USA) Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management
- GlobalMPA web portal Website for international students and programs outside the US.
- "MPA/MPP Information for Prospective Students," a YouTube video produced by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs & Administration in Washington DC.
-  Masters in Public Policy and Management, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore.
- Public Sector Job Site Nonprofit website for those seeking jobs in public sector.
- MPA/MPP Student Website For prospective students interested in acquiring an MPA/MPP Degree in the United States of America.
- MPP at the Blavatnik School of Government, University of Oxford Information about the Master of Public Policy at the University of Oxford
- University of Denver's Institute for Public Policy Studies Information regarding the graduate Public Policy Program at the University of Denver.
- Mills College Public Policy Program Website Information regarding the graduate Public Policy Program at Mills College in California.
- Simon Fraser University M.P.P. Website Information regarding the Simon Fraser University school of Public Policy.
- University of Calgary M.P.P. Website Information regarding the University of Calgary school of Public Policy.
- UCLA's Luskin School of Public Affairs Website Information regarding the MPP program at UCLA's Luskin School of Public Affairs.
- MPP at Oregon State University Information regarding the MPP program at OSU's School of Public Policy.
- The University of Sydney Department of Government and International Relations website Information regarding the MPP program at the University of Sydney's Department of Government and International Relations.
- The Australian National University Crawford School of Public Policy website Information regarding the MPP program within the Australian National University's Crawford School of Public Policy, as part of the ANU College of Asia & the Pacific.
- University of Toronto M.P.P. Website Information regarding the University of Toronto school of Public Policy.
- The University of Tokyo GraSPP Website Information regarding the University of Tokyo Graduate School of Public Policy.
- UConn D.P.P. Website Information regarding the University of Connecticut Department of Public Policy.
- School of Public Policy at the University of Maryland - College Park Information regarding the University of Maryland School of Public Policy.
- University of Houston MPP Website Information regarding the MPP program at the University of Houston.
-  Information regarding the public policy program at Simmons College.
-  Graduate Certificate in Public Policy at the Takshashila Institution, Bangalore, India.