This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014)
A Master of Science in Information Technology (abbreviated M.Sc.IT, MScIT or MSIT) is a master's degree in the field of information technology awarded by universities in many countries or a person holding such a degree. The MSIT degree is designed for those managing information technology, especially the information systems development process. The MSIT degree is functionally equivalent to a Master of Information Systems Management, which is one of several specialized master's degree programs recognized by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). One can become software engineer and data scientist after completing M.Sc. IT.
A joint committee of Association for Information Systems (AIS) and Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) members develop a model curriculum for the Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIT). The most recent version of the MSIS Model Curriculum was published in 2016.
Course and Variants
The course of study is concentrated around the Information Systems discipline. The core courses are (typically) Systems analysis, Systems design, Data Communications, Database design, Project management and Security. The degree typically includes coursework in both computer science and business skills, but the core curriculum might depend on the school and result in other degrees and specializations, including:
- Master of Science (Information Technology) M.Sc.(I.T)
- Master of Computer Applications (MCA)
- Master in Information Science (MIS)
- Master of Science in Information and Communication Technologies (MS-ICT)
- Master of Science in Information Systems Management (MISM)
- Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT or MS in IT)
- Master of Computer Science (MCS)
- Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS)
- Master of Science in Management of Information Technology (M.S. in MIT)
- Master of Information Technology (M.I.T.)
- Master of IT (M. IT or MIT) in Denmark
- Candidatus/candidata informationis technologiæ (Cand. it.) in Denmark
- Master of Information Science and Technology (M.I.S.T.) from The University of Tokyo and Osaka University, Japan
- ABET - Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (United States)
- List of master's degrees
- Bachelor of Computer Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Information Systems
- UOM, University of Mysore. "Master of Science in Information Technology Program". www.uni-mysore.in. Retrieved 9 June 2021.
- "Online MSC IT Course - Master of Science in IT Degree Program | UOM". 9 June 2021. Archived from the original on 9 June 2021. Retrieved 22 April 2022.
- "MSIS 2016 Global Competency Model for Graduate Degree Programs in Information Systems" (PDF). www.acm.org. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "MCA vs MSc IT: Which Course to choose for a Better Career? – IIS University". 5 February 2021. Retrieved 22 April 2022.
- https://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/1061840_specification-of-degrees-july-2014.pdf#page=14[bare URL PDF]
- "M.S. Degree in Information and Communication Technologies – Online". www.uwstout.edu. 28 November 2017. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- "Master of IT Part-Time Program".