Masterpiece Theatre (Marianas Trench album)
|Studio album by Marianas Trench|
|Released||February 24, 2009
(see release history)
|Genre||Pop punk, symphonic rock|
|Producer||Dave Genn, Greig Nori, Dave Ogilvie, Raine Maida, Josh Ramsay|
|Marianas Trench chronology|
|Singles from Masterpiece Theatre|
|Lost in the Sound|||
Masterpiece Theatre is the second studio album by Canadian rock group Marianas Trench. It was released on February 24, 2009 in Canada and on September 28, 2010 in the United States. The album was available for preview at MuchMusic's website before the release. The last song on the album, titled "Masterpiece Theatre III", is a collage of all the songs on the album including its five singles.
The album is a slight departure from Fix Me, containing more theatrical elements and instruments while still retaining the punk rock influence of its predecessor. Songs like Masterpiece Theater 1, 2, and 3, Beside You, and Good To You show some experimentation using pianos and strings and harmonies.
The album sold 5,000 copies in its first week of release debuting at No. 4 on the Canadian Albums Chart and since then it has reached Platinum status in Canada with sales of over 80,000 copies nationwide.
- 1 Reception
- 2 Track listing
- 3 Personnel
- 4 Charts and certifications
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 Release history
- 7 Singles
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Masterpiece Theatre was received well by most critics. The Phoenix New Times praised lead singer Josh Ramsay and the lyrics saying "Singer Josh Ramsay pushed himself vocally on this album, and the lyrics were very heartfelt and meaningful – not your typical pop-punk music."
Melodic.net said, "this album is one of the best, if not the best, discs i've heard in the past year or two." They also said "The harmonies, arrangements, and different styles experimented with throughout the spread of the CD are absolutely awe-inspiring."
Lost In the Sound gave the album a score of 80% out 100, saying that the album "is one of the best in its genre and proves that there is still good pop rock music out there."
The album sold over 80,000 copies in Canada and was certified Platinum by the CRIA. Singles such as "All To Myself" and "Cross My Heart" peaked in the top 15 of the Canadian Hot 100. Other singles such as "Celebrity Status", "Good to You" and "Beside You" peaked in the top 40 of the Canadian Hot 100.
All tracks written by Josh Ramsay, except where noted.
|1.||"Masterpiece Theatre I"||5:00|
|2.||"All to Myself"||3:11|
|3.||"Cross My Heart"||3:11|
|6.||"Masterpiece Theatre II"||3:32|
|8.||"Good to You" (Ramsay, Shawn Smith) (feat. Jessica Lee)||3:04|
|12.||"Masterpiece Theatre III"||6:40|
|American release bonus tracks|
|13.||"Cross My Heart" (Acoustic)||3:28|
|14.||"Good to You" (feat Kate Voegele)||3:04|
|Director's Cut Edition bonus tracks|
|13.||"Good to You" (feat. Kate Voegele)||3:04|
|14.||"Cross My Heart" (Acoustic)||3:27|
|15.||"Celebrity Status" (Acoustic)||3:57|
|16.||"And So It Goes"||2:23|
Charts and certifications
Awards and nominations
|2009||"Cross My Heart"||MuchMusic Video Awards Favourite Canadian Video||Nominated|
|2009||"Cross My Heart"||MuchMusic Video Awards MUCH LOUD Rock Video of the Year||Nominated|
|2009||"Cross My Heart"||MuchMusic Video Awards UR Fave Video||Nominated|
|2009||"Cross My Heart"||MuchMusic Video Awards Director of the Year||Won|
|2009||Masterpiece Theatre||Western Canadian Music Awards Pop Recording of the Year||Won|
|2010||"Cross My Heart"||Independent Music Awards Astral Media Radio Favourite Single||Won|
|2010||"Cross My Heart"||Independent Music Awards Favourite Video||Won|
|2010||Marianas Trench||Independent Music Awards Favourite Pop Artist/Group||Nominated|
|2010||Marianas Trench||Canadian Radio Music Award Fan's Choice Award||Nominated|
|2010||"Celebrity Status"||MuchMusic Video Awards UR Fave Video||Nominated|
|2010||"Celebrity Status"||MuchMusic Video Awards Pop Video of the Year||Nominated|
|Canada||February 24, 2009||Standard||604 Records|
|United States||September 28, 2010|
|Canada||November 30, 2010||Director's Cut
||It has been suggested that this Singles be split into multiple articles. (Discuss.) (January 2015)|
Cross My Heart
"Cross My Heart" is the fourth single released by Marianas Trench and the first single released off of their second album Masterpiece Theatre.
Shot in Vancouver, Canada, the music video starts off with Josh Ramsay singing to the a woman that he is following throughout the course of the video. While going down the street, people start to hear the song, and follow along. From painters and construction workers, to teenagers from the streets, they all form a parade with the rest of the band playing on a float. In the end, the woman being followed takes out her headphones, and hears Josh singing to her. She turns around and sees the crowd cheering and applauding to her. She invites him in, the song ends and the crowd stops cheering.
- Was the "Best Comeback" on the January 31 issue on the Canadian Hot 100.
- Was the "Sales Gainer" on the February 14 issue on the Canadian Hot 100.
- Was certified 2x Platinum in Canada with 80,000 digital downloads across the country
"Cross My Heart" debuted at No. 54 on the Canadian Hot 100 and then rose No. 41 the next week, but then fell off the chart two weeks later. On the issue of January 31 it made a re-entry on the chart at No. 42 and was the "Best Comeback" and climbed to No. 16, and was the "Sales Gainer" on the issue of February 14, since then it has peaked at #15.
|Canadian Hot 100||15|
|Canadian Hot 100||43|
All to Myself
"All to Myself" is the fifth single released by Marianas Trench and the second single released off of their second album Masterpiece Theatre.
|Canadian Hot 100||11|
|Canadian Hot 100||46|
"Beside You" is the third single (second in the United States) of the Marianas Trench's second album, Masterpiece Theatre.
The music video for "Beside You" was shot on September 29, 2009. The beginning shots of the beach and dock were filmed at Jericho Beach in Vancouver, British Columbia. The rest of the video was shot inside of the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts at the University of British Columbia. The orchestra and band members in the video are students from Lord Byng Secondary School.
"Beside You" premiered on Much Music's Much on Demand on October 30, 2009.
|Canadian Hot 100||27|
|Canadian Hot 100||64|
"Celebrity Status" is the fourth single off Marianas Trench's second studio album, Masterpiece Theatre. It was released to radio stations in February 2010, and was released digitally onto iTunes on April 6, 2010. The song was featured along with Pink's "Raise Your Glass" in the University of British Columbia's lipdub video released on April 8, 2011.
|Canadian Hot 100||24|
|Canadian Hot 100||24|
"Good To You" is the fifth and final single off Marianas Trench's second studio album, Masterpiece Theatre. It was released on August 10, 2010 to both iTunes and the radio.
|Canadian Hot 100||38|
|Canadian Hot 100||38|
- "Sputnikmusic review". Sputnikmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- Chisling, Matthew (February 24, 2009). "Allmusic review". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Melodic review". Melodic.net. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Lost in the Sound review". Lostinthesound.com. November 14, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Marianas Trench Biography & Awards". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA): Gold & Platinum – January 2005". Cria.ca. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Six New Times Contributors Name Their Top 10 Records of 2010 – Page 5 – Music – Phoenix". Phoenix New Times. December 30, 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Melodic Net – Marianas Trench – Masterpiece Theater". Melodic.net. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Review: Marianas Trench – Masterpiece Theatre". Lost in the Sound. November 14, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- Music News, Reviews, Articles, Information, News Online & Free Music
- "Masterpiece Theatre by Marianas Trench". iTunes Store (US). Apple Inc. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Masterpiece Theatre - Director's Cut (Special Edition) by Marianas Trench". iTunes Store (CA). Apple Inc. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Masterpiece Theatre – Marianas Trench". Allmusic. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- "Marianas Trench – Chart history" Billboard Canadian Albums Chart for Marianas Trench. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Canadian album certifications – Marianas Trench – Masterpiece Theatre". Music Canada.
- "Masterpiece Theatre by Marianas Trench". iTunes Store (CA). Apple Inc. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Masterpiece Theatre - Director's Cut (Special Edition) Marianas Trench". iTunes Store (US). Apple Inc. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- Gold & Platinum Certification for February 2010
- Billboard Canadian Hot 100 : Feb 21, 2009 | Billboard Chart Archive
- "Canadian Hot 100 Year-End 2009". Billboard Magazine. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- Marianas Trench - All To Myself - Music Charts
- "Charts Year End: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2010-05-02. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "CanDec" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page). Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "CanDec" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "MuchMusic Masterpiece Theatre First Spin". Retrieved February 17, 2009.