Masters of Science Fiction
|Steven Hawking's Sci-Fi Masters|
Steven Hawking's Sci-Fi Masters intertitle
|Genre||Science fiction anthology|
|Presented by||Stephen Hawking|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Executive producer(s)||John W. Hyde
|Running time||approx. 41 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Reunion Pictures
|Original release||August 4, 2007 – August 25, 2007|
|Related shows||Masters of Horror|
Steven Hawking's Sci-Fi Masters is an American television anthology series by the same creators as Masters of Horror. The show debuted on ABC on August 4, 2007 at 10PM for a run of four episodes. It was originally scheduled to run in six parts, but two episodes were removed from the schedule for undisclosed reasons.
The show follows a similar format as Masters of Horror, with each hour long episode taking the form of a separate short film adaptation of a story by a respected member of the science fiction community, hence the Masters in the title.
In December 2007, the show was picked up by Space in Canada. This was followed by the North American premiere of the missing two episodes. A Region 1 DVD of all six episodes was released on August 5, 2008. On February 12, 2012, the Science Channel began airing the episodes, under the title Stephen Hawking's Sci-Fi Masters, beginning with the first domestic airing of the episode "Watchbirds".
|Title||Original story author||Director||Original U.S. air-date||Original Canadian air-date|
|"A Clean Escape"||John Kessel||Mark Rydell||August 4, 2007||November 11, 2007|
|"The Awakening"||Howard Fast
"The General Zapped an Angel"
|Michael Petroni||August 11, 2007||November 25, 2007|
|"Jerry Was a Man"||Robert A. Heinlein||Michael Tolkin||August 18, 2007||November 18, 2007|
|"The Discarded"||Harlan Ellison||Jonathan Frakes||August 25, 2007||December 16, 2007|
|"Little Brother"||Walter Mosley||Darnell Martin||Not scheduled||December 2, 2007|
|"Watchbird"||Robert Sheckley||Harold Becker||Not scheduled||December 9, 2007|
- Richmond, Ray (August 3, 2007). ""Masters of Science Fiction" too artistic for ABC". Reuters. Retrieved 2007-08-04.
- "ABC SLATES 'LAUGHS' FOR TUESDAYS, CONFIRMS 'MASTERS' INSTALLMENTS". Futon Critic. Retrieved 2007-08-04.
- "Stephen Hawking's Sci Fi Masters". Science Channel.
- Official Website
- Masters of Science Fiction press release
- The Futon's Summer Preview: ABC's "Masters of Science Fiction"
- The Futon's First Look: "Masters of Science Fiction" (ABC)
- "Cast Set for 'Masters of Sci Fi'", Zap2it, August 4, 2006.
- Masters of Science Fiction at the Internet Movie Database
- Masters of Science Fiction at TV.com