Silvestre training with Inter in 2012
|Full name||Matías Agustín Silvestre|
|Date of birth||25 September 1984|
|Place of birth||Mercedes, Argentina|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2013–2014||→ Milan (loan)||4||(1)|
|2014–2015||→ Sampdoria (loan)||29||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22 May 2015.
Silvestre began his career with Argentine club, Boca Juniors, where he would go on to make his league debut on 23 March 2003, in a 3–1 win over C.A. Lanús. Silvestre soon was inserted into the Boca Juniors starting line-up and between 2003 and 2007, he went on to make 63 league appearances, scoring six goals. He was used as both a central defender and a right full back, during his spell with the club. Following an impressive 2007 season of the club, Silvestre was transferred to Calcio Catania in the Italian Serie A.
During the 2008 January transfer window, Silvestre transferred to Sicilian club Calcio Catania on loan. His first six months at Catania was not so great as he was not part of then-coach Silvio Baldini's starting team, making just 11 appearances, just five as a starter. His loan, however, was made permanent in the summer of 2008, for €2.043 million, after Walter Zenga was appointed head coach, following the sacking of Baldini. He soon became an instrumental part of Catania's first team and was a major influence on their fairly successful 2008–09 season, as the club avoided relegation for the third consecutive season. Silvestre continued to shine during his third season in Sicily as the defender went on to make more appearances than any of his temmates during the 2009–10 campaign. He formed a solid defensive line-up with the likes of Pablo Álvarez, Nicolás Spolli, Christian Terlizzi, and Ciro Capuano as Catania recorded their record breaking points total in Serie A, finishing in 13th place with just 45 goals conceded in 38 games. During the 2010-11 Serie A campaign, Silvestre earned captaincy at the Sicilian club, following the sale of Giuseppe Mascara to Napoli on 31 January 2011. He has made 116 total appearances for his club, scoring seven goals, six of which have come during the 2010-11 Serie A season, a season which recorded a third consecutive record points total for the Sicilian club. On 9 July 2011, Marco Biagianti was assigned captaincy of the club for the 2011-12 Serie A season.
On 8 August 2011, he moved to Palermo for €7 million in a 4-year contract, with Davide Lanzafame moved to opposite direction in co-ownership deal for €1 million. He debuted in rosanero the 11 September 2011 in the 4-3 victory against Inter, on the second day of the season (the first was postponed) held on September 11, playing the holder as well as for the rest of the season. Mark the first goal against Palermo in a 3-1 win over Bologna valid for the 11th day, realizing the momentary 2-0. On 19 February, during Siena v Palermo (4-1) the 25th day, leave the field 11 after reporting a distraction at first instance in semimembranosus muscle of the right thigh; returns field - one of the owners - nearly two months away, Palermo-Cesena in the 34th day held on April 22, which also produces the network that fixed the score at 2-2. In the last game of a positive season, played 6 May 2012 (reprimanded, suspended for jumping the last day of the season) and finished 4-4 against Chievo Verona, is his goal - the fifth season in 29 attendance - which allows the Palermo to equalize on 89 '. with 11 goals in two seasons has been the most prolific defender of Serie A.
He made his debut in the Nerazzurri shirt with the jersey number 6 in the going of the third qualifying round of the Europa League won 3-0 away against the Croatians Hajduk Split. On 28 April 2013, during the match lost 1-0 to U.S. Città di Palermo, gets a second-degree injury of the right thigh adductor longus thus closing prematurely his first season as Inter with 20 appearances in total collected
Loans to Milan and Sampdoria
On 30 July 2013, Silvestre was officially loaned to Inter's rivals Milan for one year for €1 million with an option to sign him at end of the loan spell for €4 million; he chose to wear the number 26. He made his debut with the Rossoneri on 19 October, during the 1-0 home victory against Udinese, and in the next round, lost away to Parma (3-2), he scored his first goal with Milan. After 4 appearances and one goal with the Rossoneri, he returned to Inter.
On 29 August 2014 he moved temporarily to Sampdoria, choosing to wear the number 26 he previously wore at Milan; two days later he made his debut with the blucerchiato, substituting Gianluca Sansone away to Palermo (1-1). He played in 30 games for Sampdoria and became unattached at the end of the season.
On 9 July 2015 he decided to renew his contract with Sampdoria for two more seasons.
|2004||Boca Juniors||Copa Sudamericana|
|2005||Boca Juniors||Copa Sudamericana|
|2005||Boca Juniors||Recopa Sudamericana|
|2006||Boca Juniors||Recopa Sudamericana|
|2007||Boca Juniors||Copa Libertadores|
- "Silvestre al Catania" (in Italian). Calcio Catania. 28 January 2008. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- Calcio Catania S.p.A. bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 30 June 2008 (Italian), PDF purchased from Italian C.C.I.A.A.
- Calcio Catania S.p.A. bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 30 June 2012 (Italian), PDF purchased from Italian C.C.I.A.A.
- U.S. Città di Palermo S.p.A. bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 30 June 2012 (Italian), PDF purchased from Italian C.C.I.A.A.
- U.S. Città di Palermo SpA bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 30 June 2013 (Italian), PDF purchased from Italian C.C.I.A.A.
- Inter, riscattato Silvestre dal Palermo Tuttomercatoweb.com
- Pinzolo, 31 nerazzurri in partenza per il ritiro estivo Inter.it
- Mazzarri non fa sconti: Silvestre e Schelorro assenti. E Mariga... Fcinter1908.it
- "SILVESTRE ALL'INTER" (in Italian). 2012-07-06. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Relazione e Bilancio al 31 Dicembre 2013" (PDF) (in Italian). AC Milan. 18 November 2014. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "Milan reach Matias Silvestre agreement". ESPN FC. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Milan confirm Silvestre deal". Football Italia. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-30.