||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Further Fantasy - Exhibition Galleria Giò Marconi, Milano, 1.-21. March 1999, catalogue Associazione Italiana Pellicceria by Vogue Italia.
|Born||1966 (age 49–50)
|Known for||Installation, Sculpture, Photography|
|Movement||Contemporary Art, Young British Artists|
His work uses photography and video. His best known work is Bullet Hole (1988), which is a closeup photo of what appears to be a bullet hole wound in the scalp of a person's head, mounted on 15 light boxes. Collishaw took the original image from a pathology textbook that actually showed a wound caused by an ice pick. Bullet Hole was originally exhibited in Freeze, the group show organised by Damien Hirst in 1988 that launched the YBA (Young British Artists). It is now in the collection of the Museum of Old and New Art in Hobart, Australia.
In 2012, to go alongside the AKA Peace Exhibition at the ICA Art Below showcased selected works from the AKA Peace series on the London Underground including Collishaw's. "AKA Peace" originally conceived by photographer Bran Symondson and now curated by artist Jake Chapman, is an exhibition of new works made specially for The Peace One Day Project 2012, bringing together a group of Contemporary Artists, all of whom agreed to transform a decommissioned AK-47 assault rifle, refashioning into artworks.
British pathologist, Austin Gresham, wrote a handbook, A Colour Atlas of Forensic Pathology, in 1975. Collishaw said it became "the Britart bible", as a source for explicit images of dead bodies for artwork.
Selected recent solo exhibitions
- 2013 'La vie de château', Château des Adhémar - Centre d'Art Contemporain, Montélimar, FR.
- 2013 'This is Not an Exit', Blain|southern, London, UK.
- 2012 'Crystal Gaze', Raucci/Santamaria Gallery, Naples, IT.
- 2012 'The End of Innocence', Dilston Grove, CGP London Gallery, London, UK.
- 2012 'Sordid Earth', Greenaway Art Gallery, Kent Town, AU.
- 2012 'Vitacide', Tanya Bonakdar Gallery, New York City.
- 2011 'Pearls of the Abyss', Analix Forever, Geneva, CH
- 2010 'Last Meal on Death Row', Analix Forever, Geneva, CH.
- 2010 'Magic Lantern', Victoria & Albert Museum, London, UK.
- 2010 'Shooting Stars & The Garden of Unearthly Delights', Void Gallery, Derry, IE.
- 2010 'Creation Condemned', Blain|Southern, London, UK.
- 2010 'Retrospectre', British Film Institute, London, UK.
- 2009 'Submission', Haunch of Venison, Berlin, DE.
- 2009 'Hysteria', Freud Museum, London, UK.
- 2008 'Mat Collishaw: Shooting Stars', Haunch of Venison, London, UK.
- 2008 'Mat Collishaw Deliverance', Tanya Bonakdar Gallery, New York City.
Selected recent group exhibitions
- 2012 'White Light/White Heat: Contemporary Artists & Glass', Wallace Collection, London UK.
- 2012 'Britain Creates 2012: Fashion + Art Collusion', Victoria & Albert Museum, London, UK.
- 2012 'Des Images, Des Histoires', Palais Jacques Coeur, Paris, FR.
- 2012 'Out of Focus: Photography', Saatchi Gallery, London, UK.
- 2011 'Memories of the Future, The Olbricht Collection', La Maison Rouge, Paris, FR.
- 2011 'Sordid Earth', Roundhouse, London, UK.
- 2011 'Otherworldly: Optical Delusions and Small Realities', Museum of Arts and Design, New York City.
- 2011 'House of Beasts', Attingham Park, National Trust, UK.
- 2010 'Locus Solus', Benaki Museum, Athens, GR.
- 2010 'Extraordinary measures', Belsay Castle, Northumbria, UK.
- 2010 'Mat Collishaw, Tracey Emin & Paula Rego', Founding Museum, London, UK.
- 2009 'Distortion', Gervasuti Foundation, Venice Biennale, Venice, IT.
- 2009 'Mythologies', Haunch of Venison, Zurich, CH.
- 2007 'Les Fleurs du Mal', Arcos Sannio Contemporary Art Museum, Benevento, IT.
- 2007 'Mat Collishaw, Anthony Goicolea', Haunch of Venison, Zurich, CH.
- 2007 'The Tempest - Mat Collishaw and Paul Fryer', Gervasuti Foundation, Venice Biennale, Venice, IT.
- 'Mat Collishaw: Afterimage', by Başak Doğa Temür, Arter, Istanbul, 2013.
- 'Mat Collishaw', by Sue Hubbard, Rachel Campbell-Johnson, Blain|Southern, London, 2013.
- 'Mat Collishaw: Ou l'horreur délicieuse', by Paul Ardenne, Régis Durand, Julie Gil, Federica Martini, Barbara Polla, Michele Robecchi, Le Bord de l'eau, Brussels, 2013
- 'Mat Collishaw: Insecticides', by Nina Miall, Haunch of Venison, London, 2012.
- 'Mat Collishaw', by Neal Brown, Jason Beard, Other Criteria, London, 2007.
- 'Mat Collishaw', by Thomas Dane, Jon Thompson, Artimo Foundation Breda, 1997.
- "Mat Collishaw - Contemporary Artists". Bullet Hole. Saatchi Gallery. Retrieved 24 April 2009.
- Gabriella Coslovich (15 January 2011). "A revolt in art". The Age.
- Mat Collishaw at Tanya Bonakdar Gallery
- "Peace One Day's 2012 Art Project". peaceoneday.org. 12 July 2012. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "AKA Below". artbelow.org.uk. 27 November 2012. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- Goslett, Miles. "Meet the grandfather of Britart", The Daily Telegraph, 1 July 2007. Retrieved on 12 September 2009.
- For more on the author of this book see: " Obituary: Professor Austin Gresham histopathologist," The Times, 8 September 2009.
- The Times 2 April 2008 Mat Collishaw: a shock-jock's deliverance by Rachel Campbell-Johnston
- "50 Best Dressed Men in Britain 2015". GQ. 5 Jan 2015.
- Official website
- Mat Collishaw at Blain|Southern
- Mat Collishaw at Analix Forever
- Mat Collishaw at Raucci/Santamaria
- Mat Collishaw - Tanya Bonakdar Gallery
- Mat Collishaw – Mat Collishaw at Cosmic Gallerie
- Mat Collishaw at Saatchi Gallery
- Mat Collishaw at Artfacts.Net
- Film about 2010 joint exhibition with Tracey Emin and Paula Rego at the Foundling Museum - The Guardian
- Interview of Collishaw (September 2012) at [REVma -/+]