|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|District of Mat
Rrethi i Matit
Map showing MAT District within Albania
|• Hereditary Governor||Crown Prince Leka II|
Mat District (Albanian: Rrethi i Matit) was one of the thirty-six districts of Albania (which were dissolved in 2000) that is now part of Dibër County. It is named after the Mat River, that flows through the district. It had a population of 48,803 (2010 estimate), and an area of 1,029 km². Its capital was Burrel.
The district consisted of the following municipalities:
Note: - urban municipalities in bold
At the beginning of the 15th century the Lord of Matja was Gjon Kastrioti, father of Skanderbeg. When Skanderbeg began his rebellion against Ottomans he also became the lord of Mat and some other territories as well. A synod of Catholic archdiocese was held in Matja in 1462 by Pal Egnelli known for his baptismal formula.
|Name||Portrait||Birth and death||Reign started||Reign ended||Marriages||Succession right|
[Zogu the Great]
|2||'Abdu'llah Bey Zogolli||?||?||?||Unknown wife||son of
|3||Ahmad Bey Zogolli||?||?||?||Unknown wife||son of
'Abdu'llah Bey Zogolli
|4||Mahmud Pasha Zogolli||?||?||?||Unknown wife
|son of Ahmad Bey Zogolli|
|5||Xhelal Pasha Zogolli||?||?||?||Ruhijé Hanem
|son of Mahmud Pasha Zogolli|
|6||Riza Zogolli||?||?||?||Never married||son of Xhelal Pasha Zogolli|
|7||Xhemal Pasha Zogu||1860
|?||1911||Zenja Malika Khanum
|brother of Riza Zogolli|
|8||Zog I||8 October 1895
9 April 1961
|1911||9 April 1961||Countess Geraldine Apponyi de Nagy-Apponyi
|Son of Xhemal Pasha Zogu|
|9||Leka I||5 April 1939
30 November 2011
|9 April 1961||30 November 2011||Susan Cullen-Ward
|10||Leka II||26 March 1982
|30 November 2011||Present||Elia Zaharia
- "POPULLSIA SIPAS PREFEKTURAVE, 2001–2010". Albanian Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- "POPULLSIA SIPAS RRETHEVE, 2001-2010". Albanian Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- Franz Babinger (January 1992). Mehmed the Conqueror and His Time. Princeton University Press. p. 53. ISBN 978-0-691-01078-6. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
....his father, lord of the Matja district in Upper Albania...
- John Musachi (2003). Early Albania: A Reader of Historical Texts, 11th-17th Centuries. Otto Harrassowitz Verlag. p. 53. ISBN 978-3-447-04783-8. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
Later, Lord Scanderbeg became not only Lord of Mat but also Lord of Kruja, of Dibra and of Birina, i.e. of Randisia, Tomorista, Misia and the Gjonem country down to the sea.
- Robert Elsie (24 December 2012). A Biographical Dictionary of Albanian History. I.B.Tauris. p. 13. ISBN 978-1-78076-431-3. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
On his return to Durrës in 1462, Paulus Angelus held a synod in Matja to reorganise his archdiocese. In this connection he is remembered as the author of the baptismal formula he introduced in Albanian, one of the rare records of the Albanian
|This article about a specific location in Dibër County, Albania, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|