Mat Follas was the winner of the BBC's MasterChef programme in 2009. He was born in the UK, to New Zealand parents and grew up in New Zealand. He moved to the UK when in his 20s and is now the father of three children.
Follas won Masterchef by beating Andy Oliver and Chris Gates in the grand final. His final winning dish consisted of a starter of trio of rabbit with nettles and pancetta crisps; a main of spider crab thermidor accompanied with mussels, foraged sea vegetables and a side of chips; and for pudding a creamy lavender and blackberry mousse with honeycomb and blackberry sauce.
He always wanted to set up a restaurant with his family serving his distinctive "hearty" food, saying during MasterChef that he did not only want to win for himself, but also for his family. He opened his own restaurant in 2009 'The Wild Garlic' ' in Beaminster, Dorset. The Wild Garlic in Beaminster closed in summer 2013, and moved to the Talbot Inn, Iwerne Minster owned by brewery group Hall & Woodhouse. This venture failed and the restaurant closed its doors in November 2013.
Since March 2014 Mat has been operating a small restaurant at The Casterbridge Hotel in Dorchester and published his first book FISH in April 2015.
- Revoir, Paul (2009-02-27). "Mat Follas wins MasterChef... but is forced to put dreams of opening restaurant on ice as financial crisis bites". Daily Mail (London).
- "Mat Follas wins MasterChef 2009". The Daily Telegraph (London). 2009-02-27. Retrieved 2010-05-12.
- the Wild Garlic Beaminster Mat Follas - Home
- You Brits are ashamed of your own food, says MasterChef champion | Countryfile Magazine
- http://www.g o o gle.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CDkQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bournemouthecho.co.uk%2FNEWS%2F10799341.Celebrity_chef_Matt_Follas_vows_to_carry_on_despite_closure_of_Wild_Garlic%2F%3Fref%3Drss&ei=uu6UUretEJS2hAfWpIDACA&usg=AFQjCNHBVDgNvS71IjnHRpHkntVWq20AZA&bvm=bv.57155469,d.ZG4
- Restaurant website and personal blog
- The Guardian
- September 2011 video interview with Mat about his restaurant
|BBC Masterchef champion
|This biographical article related to British television is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a foodie, restaurateur or gourmand is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|