|Born||21 September 1977|
Mat Whitecross (born 21 September 1977) is an English film director, editor and screenwriter. He is known for directing The Road to Guantánamo, Ian Dury biopic Sex And Drugs and Rock and Roll, and music documentaries Supersonic and A Head Full of Dreams. Mat has also directed music videos for Coldplay, Take That and Rolling Stones.
Life and career
Whitecross was born and raised on Oxford. His parents were political refugees who were imprisoned in Argentina during the country’s Dirty War. He takes a lot of inspiration from the place where he was raised and from his parent's friends, many of whom are South American immigrants who fled tortures and prison. He began his career working for filmmaker Michael Winterbottom and producer Andrew Eaton at Revolution Films as a runner on the film 24 Hour Party People. Within a few months of starting at Revolution Films, they gave him the chance to shooting and editing for them. His directorial debut The Road to Guantanamo started as a conversation with Winterbottom about the Tipton Three whilst on the shoot for the film 9 Songs. They both agreed that the story was fascinating and worth of a film but due to other commitments, Winterbottom was unable to begin research and preparation and suggested that Mat should start the process. Whitecross and Winterbottom would go on to co-direct and co-write the film that featured Riz Ahmed in his debut acting role.
|2006||The Road to Guantánamo||Yes||Yes||Yes||Co-Directed
and Co-Written with Michael Winterbottom. Won the Silver Bear for Best Director and Independent Spirit Award for Best Documentary Feature.
|Scott Walker: 30 Century Man||No||No||Yes|
|2009||Moving to Mars||Yes||Yes||No|
|The Shock Doctrine||Yes||No||Yes|
|2010||Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll||Yes||No||No|
|2018||Coldplay: A Head Full of Dreams||Yes||No||No|
|2007||Nearly Famous||Yes||No||No||Episode 1.4 - Episode 1.3|
|2008||Spooks: Code 9||Yes||No||No|
|2017||Red Nose Day Actually||Yes||No||No||Co-Directed with Richard Curtis|
|2018||Vic and Bob's Big Night Out||Yes||No||No||Writers: Bob Mortimer and Vic Reeves|
|2008||Violet Hill, Version 2|
|Lovers in Japan|
|Lost+ Feat. Jay-Z|
|2010||Take That||The Flood|
|2011||Take That||Kidz||Co-directed with Eran Creevy|
|Coldplay||Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall|
|The Rolling Stones||No Spare Parts|
|2014||A Sky Full of Stars, Version 1|
|2015||Adventure of a Lifetime|
|The Chainsmokers and Coldplay||Something Just Like This, Tokyo Remix|
- "Мат Уайткросс, Режиссер: фото, биография, фильмография, новости - Вокруг ТВ". Вокруг ТВ.
- "Adventure of a Lifetime – behind the scenes on the set of Coldplay new video". The Guardian.
- Hall, James (14 November 2018). "Divorce, democracy, and backstage drama: a new Coldplay documentary reveals all about Britain's biggest band". The Telegraph.
- ""Sex & Drugs" and punk nostalgia in Ian Dury movie". Reuters. 8 January 2010.
- "The Coldplay film was the band's best chance to turn the haters. Sadly, they've blown it". British GQ.
- "Coldplay Could Be Taking New Music Out On The Road Much Sooner Than You Think". Bustle.
- "Interview: Mat Whitecross on #AHFODfilm". Coldplay.
- "What's the Story: Gallagher Brothers Reunite for Oasis Documentary". Newsweek. 5 November 2015.
- "This is History: Mat Whitecross on directing Supersonic | Oasis Recording Information". www.oasis-recordinginfo.co.uk.
- "Mat Whitecross". HUNGER TV.
- "indieWIRE INTERVIEW: Mat Whitecross, Co-Director of "The Road to Guantanamo"". IndieWire. 22 June 2006.
- "Mat Whitecross". Mountainfilm. 11 May 2011.
- "Bio to Mat Whitecross". www.pulsefilms.com.
- "Independent Spirit Award winners". Variety. 24 February 2007.