|Privately held company|
|John Hargreaves, founder and chairman|
|Revenue||£1,100 million GBP (2013)|
In 2009 Hargreaves sought to sell off Matalan but failed to find buyers willing to meet the £1.5 billion price Hargreaves set.
Jason Hargreaves was appointed managing director in July 2013.
In July 2014, they were the focus of a campaign by 38 Degrees and Labour Behind the Label, for failing to contribute to the official compensation fund co-ordinated by the ILO. This was in contrast to some of their main competitors, such as Primark who contributed $9 million. After pressure, they announced that they would contribute an undisclosed amount. It was later revealed that they had paid £60,000  in to the fund, which labour rights campaigns challenged as being an insufficient amount compared with other retailers.
In November 2014, Matalan sponsored a three-day event to celebrate fashion, art, photography and architecture in Liverpool, the hometown of Jason Hargreaves. The event was backed by Matalan and organised by Cricket Fashion co founder, Justine Mills and Denise Harris of SK Events.
- "Matalan founder John Hargreaves to trouser £250m in refinancing deal". www.theguardian.com. 11 February 2010. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- Holland, Tiffany (15 July 2013). "Profile: Matalan's new managing director Jason Hargreaves".
- "Pressure intensifies on Matalan to give to Rana Plaza fund". The Times. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "'If Primark can pay over factory collapse, why can't Matalan?' - Telegraph". Telegraph.co.uk. 28 July 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Primark Ethical Trading - Our Work in Bangladesh". Primark Ethical Trading. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Julia Kollewe. "Matalan donates to Rana Plaza victims' trust fund one day before deadline". the Guardian. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Press Release: Matalan slammed for "trivial" compensation payments to Rana Plaza victims". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "38 Degrees - Blog - Matalan: Only £60,000". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- McGregor, Kirsty (14 November 2014). "Celebration of Style event kicks off in Liverpool". Drapers Online.
- Jurga, S. (19 November 2014). "Celebration Of Style, Liverpool". #INSPO.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matalan.|