|Borough of Matamoras|
|Elevation||427 ft (130.1 m)|
|Area||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|- land||0.7 sq mi (2 km2)|
|- water||0.1 sq mi (0 km2), 12.5%|
|Density||3,527.1 / sq mi (1,361.8 / km2)|
|Incorporated||January 18, 1905|
|- summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code||570 Exchange: 491|
Matamoras is a borough in Pike County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 2,469 at the 2010 census. It is the easternmost town in Pennsylvania. Matamoras is part of the New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area, as well as the larger New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Matamoras was originally part of Westfall Township. Its name came from the Mexican city of Matamoros, which was the first to be occupied by U.S. troops during the Mexican-American War. It was incorporated as a borough on January 18, 1905.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.8 sq miles, of which 0.7 square miles (1.8 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (11.54%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,469 people, 955 households, and 665 families residing in the borough. The population density was 3,527.1/sq mi. There were 1,020 housing units at an average density of 1,457.1 per square mile. The racial makeup of the borough was 93.3% White, 1.4% African American, 0.3% Native American, 1.8% Asian, 0.6% from other races, and 2.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.5% of the population.
There were 955 households out of which 33.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.5% were married couples living together, 14.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.4% were non-families. Of all households 24.9% were made up of individuals and 12.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the borough the population was spread out with 26.2% under the age of 18, 57.8% from 18 to 64, and 16% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years.
The median income for a household in the borough was $37,361, and the median income for a family was $45,917. Males had a median income of $32,875 versus $26,176 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $18,946. About 2.4% of families and 4.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.9% of those under age 18 and 7.4% of those age 65 or over.
- History of Pike County. Pike County, Pennsylvania home page.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Media related to Matamoras, Pennsylvania at Wikimedia Commons
- Borough of Matamoras, official website
- Pike County Dispatch